Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an underground pvc conduit that is dry and we were running a stainless steel hand operated drain cleaning machine through. I believe it's creating static electricity that shocks pretty hard. We were looking for another source and put a meter on it and it appears that the meter is ruined. It doesn't power on. The pvc is a grain vacuum. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've heard pvc dust collector systems build up one heck of a static charge. I've also heard that some people lay a bare ground wire through the piping to keep it to a minimum.

I'd assume grain vacuum piping is probably the same way.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
So you're running a flex auger through this? Stop holding back and tell us details. Let me guess, the flex auger is made of rolled, half inch square stock. The product is dry, the pipe is non conductive, and the weighed product scale it's dropping onto, made of stainless steel, and grounded, is being damaged. Am I close?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it's just a grain probe and the pipe is used to transfer the sample and it just eventually gets plugged up with dry grain dust etc. The employee running the auger called us thinking it was an electric shock.

·
415 Posts
The worst I've ever been shocked was by a shop vac hose while vacuuming up dust from a hole that was behind hammer drilled. Through dry leather gloves! Like a dummy I couldn't believe what was happening and I got zapped several times until I laid the hose down by the drill and kept in place with a tool box laying on it.
Try keeping the stainless steel snake grounded with a jumper wire and see if that will shunt the static away from the person.

·
Premium Member
18,443 Posts
The worst I've ever been shocked was by a shop vac hose while vacuuming up dust from a hole that was behind hammer drilled. Through dry leather gloves! Like a dummy I couldn't believe what was happening and I got zapped several times until I laid the hose down by the drill and kept in place with a tool box laying on it.
Try keeping the stainless steel snake grounded with a jumper wire and see if that will shunt the static away from the person.
You do mean to say to ground out the machine and not the snake right?
If not, I see some shearing action happening here.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a little more experimenting we could lay the tail of the snake on the ground or we could snap a carabiner on the cable that was run to an alligator clip hooked to a screwdriver and avoid the shock. The spark would jump 3/4 of an inch and really hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts