Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only time I wired with steel studs in resi, the GC had a bunch of BX lying around and I threw it in. Now I have a job with steel studs on the exterior walls and want to drop down to about ten device locations. I'm not wiring across, just down. What's the cheap and dirty way of bashing a hole in the upper plate and protecting the NMD?

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Those blue pop-in bushings. I think they're T&B. About a quarter each.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
If you want to use your stud punch, just use the regular bushings you use in the studs. Otherwise, the step drill and the 1/2" pop in bushings.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Sorry, we posted at the same time. So it's a half inch hole?
1/2" trade size. 7/8" on the ruler. 22mm to the communists. Step drill, bro'

I'm sure you've seen these things:

·
Estwing magic
26,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1/2" trade size. 7/8" on the ruler. 22mm to the communists. Step drill, bro'

I'm sure you've seen these things:

Thanks, Comrade :) .

I'm an industrial guy who got into these renovation gigs so sometimes I just make it up as I go along. To be honest with you, I have never seen one of those things but I guess I will now :) .

·
Registered
712 Posts
you could use 3/8" one straps to secure the wire. those bushings are the same ones we use in back of surface mounted lights where wires are exposed to the metal. ::thumbsup::

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Nope. No two hole strap. Old guy talking, it's not going to fly.

I hate steel studs more than fans. :)

But you are wiring that crap right (drops thru the top and plastic inserts as per MDShunk).

I use this greenlee bit... actually mine is old and doesn't have as many cutters but she works and you don't have to worry about going too far on a step bit. Also I can't imagine looking up while drilling with a step bit in order to stop at the 1/2 ko size. I've not used a step bit but if it has little pieces of molten metal flying about...

mine...

One way to fasten:

You can't fasten NMD to the steel stud. What I have done in the past is when you go to HD to pick up the bit (you can get the inserts there also) grab yourself 10 (or how many drops) 1x2x8 ft. pieces of lumber. Drywall screw that to the stud. Staple the the nmd as normal.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
You can't fasten NMD to the steel stud.
:laughing: You can so. There are a number of products to do just that, specifically, if you don't just use a ty-wrap.

Reactions: Rochsolid

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
:laughing: You can so. There are a number of products to do just that, specifically, if you don't just use a ty-wrap.
Agreed. Just not here with 2 hole straps. I have experience with that. :) Plus the lumber makes things nice and neat, you can pull the wire tight and staple it nicely. Of course you will bend the crap out of the stud while hammering in the staple. :thumbup: Oh well pressure on the other side while hammering.

Ty-wrap is for the cops.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Use a cj6, cheap and fast
You had me at cheap and fast. :laughing:

I was going to suggest zip ties, I thought that was the absolute easiest and cheapest securing method out there. Do you have a link or picture? Im drawing a blank to what a cj6 is.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts