Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured out today that a step bit works awesome for de- burring rigid conduit! Who would have thunk it!

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
It actually works well for reaming or deburring any conduit as long as you dont try to ram it through the conduit. I will caution that I have found using a stepper for that purpose seems to dull the bit fairly quickly.

·
Registered
663 Posts
They also blast thru TJI engineered floor joists, and particle board in general without jerking your drill around like a paddle bit or auger does.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Was doing a basement Reno a while back, plumber was there adding some lines, I watched him for a bit drilling his holes through the 2 by floor joists. He spent a while drilling his holes because he was using a step bit. After he was done I pull out my auger and drilled my holes in a few minutes.
Looks at me, "that's quicker". I said yep, want to use it?

Anybody have issues with the greenlee ones? I was using one at the local staples and dropped the bit from about 2 - 3' while cleaning up and shattered the bit. The tile was not even high quality ceramic tile floor. Bit was not that old, maybe just faulty?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Anybody have issues with the greenlee ones? I was using one at the local staples and dropped the bit from about 2 - 3' while cleaning up and shattered the bit. The tile was not even high quality ceramic tile floor. Bit was not that old, maybe just faulty?
I never had that happen with any Greenlee bits but they didnt seem to keep an edge for very long. I buy Lenox stainless steel ones now and have zero issues so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.