Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a plumber I know has made a few changes in his biz and things have really taken off for him. I was doing new homes with him 2 years ago, and back then he had 2 guys and that's where 90% of his money came in from.

Well, I met back up with him a few months ago and he's completely changed his direction. Now he's got everybody in uniforms instead of t-shirts, he's dumping money into web-based advertising every month, bought another van & hired 2 more guys, doing tons of service work now instead of mostly new homes. He's doing great and knocking jobs over left and right. Seems like there are a few lessons I could learn here.

I don't envy the headaches and hectic schedules he deals with, but I also don't want to spend my whole career in the minor leagues either. Something to think about.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Company we work with did basically the same thing, but it was all smoke and mirrors he went deep in debt and finally closed the doors.

Some times the pretty book cover hides the crappy story.

·
Estwing magic
26,397 Posts
Company we work with did basically the same thing, but it was all smoke and mirrors he went deep in debt and finally closed the doors.

Some times the pretty book cover hides the crappy story.
Wearing uniforms and having a good website doesn't make you bankrupt.

·
Estwing magic
26,397 Posts
Your company needs an identity. If service work is what you want to do then, definitely, project that image. We laugh at Mr. Electric but there is nothing stopping you from following their example.

I see vans that say "Residential/Commercial/Industrial". Gimme a break. Unless you're a hundred man shop with multiple divisions, you're not good at everything.

Pick your spot and work it hard.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Your company needs an identity. If service work is what you want to do then, definitely, project that image. We laugh at Mr. Electric but there is nothing stopping you from following their example.

I see vans that say "Residential/Commercial/Industrial/Fire Alarm/Generators/Maintenance and Testing/24 hour service". Gimme a break. Unless you're a hundred man shop with multiple divisions, you're not good at everything.

FIFY

And it is a one or two man shop

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
So a plumber I know has made a few changes in his biz and things have really taken off for him. I was doing new homes with him 2 years ago, and back then he had 2 guys and that's where 90% of his money came in from.

Well, I met back up with him a few months ago and he's completely changed his direction. Now he's got everybody in uniforms instead of t-shirts, he's dumping money into web-based advertising every month, bought another van & hired 2 more guys, doing tons of service work now instead of mostly new homes. He's doing great and knocking jobs over left and right. Seems like there are a few lessons I could learn here.

I don't envy the headaches and hectic schedules he deals with, but I also don't want to spend my whole career in the minor leagues either. Something to think about.
The minor leagues are not as bad as you think. The Majors can be a lot more money(for awhile) but also the headaches add up a lot faster. I have done both as have a few others and I will take the minors with a decent income any day.

·
Registered
431 Posts

I see vans that say "Residential/Commercial/Industrial". Gimme a break. Unless you're a hundred man shop with multiple divisions, you're not good at everything.

Give me a break bud ill do it all, the right way and then some I don't need 100 guys to do it up right.

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
There's a few monopolizers here that have taken off.

The thing is, they're no longer just electricians, or plumbers, they are multi-trade shops that offer almost anything.

They really have no choice, being demographically challenged.

In fact, one just bought the AC guy i ran with for years out, offer he couldn't refuse....

~CS~

·
332 Posts
EBFD6 said:
2 vans and 4 guys wearing uniforms is "the big leagues"?
I think he was meaning "big leagues" by the amount of money he is perceiving him to be making. I personally love the minors myself. I know quite a few that haven't stayed in the majors long, and returned to the minors stating that the competition was just as tough, if not tougher, and that at the end of the year they had very little more to show for it. Then again, I've known a few to step up to the majors, hit it big, and never look back. I like to think that I'm AAA, where the money is good, but I don't have the major league headache.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Depends on your territory -

My thoughts would be that the uniform/Van Wrap/ Ipad for invoices/etc, etc plays better in areas with new developments with a majority of younger homeowners who are used to shiny new things.

Personally, in my part of NJ, I don't think it that schtick goes over as well. You can do just as well being neat, organized, on time and honest without all the flash & advertising

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Had a homeowners handyman that laughed at our setup when he saw us roll in but he was not laughing when he saw my wife and I put a new service up on a home in less than three hours get paid and leave.

·
Registered
948 Posts
What do uniforms have anything to do with a company succeeding? I understand not dressing like a slob but do uniforms help the company make more money?

I also have never understood the concept of a clean cut service electrician who can do his job quickly and also sell the customer on doing more stuff and STILL working for somebody else.

It is a mystery to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts