Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Im 25 years old and I am currently working for a city in the bay area california. I work as a mechanic at a water plant and make about 55k a year which is starting. I have been here 6 months and after 2 years I will top out at 60k. Im wondering if any electricians in the bay area would reccomend either the IBEW local 6 or Local 617 as appose to keeping my city job where I never get laid off, have holidays, full benefits, sick time, Cal-Pers pension and all those perks? Unfortunately although I would truly love to pursue being an electrician I cannot find any literature on what the IBEW pensions are like. Also when you are in the union do you have to drive from job site to job site? These are all things I am trying to take into consideration. Thank you all for your time!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey all. Im 25 years old and I am currently working for a city in the bay area california. I work as a mechanic at a water plant and make about 55k a year which is starting. I have been here 6 months and after 2 years I will top out at 60k. Im wondering if any electricians in the bay area would reccomend either the IBEW local 6 or Local 617 as appose to keeping my city job where I never get laid off, have holidays, full benefits, sick time, Cal-Pers pension and all those perks? Unfortunately although I would truly love to pursue being an electrician I cannot find any literature on what the IBEW pensions are like. Also when you are in the union do you have to drive from job site to job site? These are all things I am trying to take into consideration. Thank you all for your time!
happypuppy

Stay happypuppy stay, stay, stay, stay, stay, stay, stay, stay!

Unless you have GOT TOO become an electrician, happypuppy stay, stay, stay, stay, stay, stay, stay, stay!

You're making much more than most people and hold a job that people will kill for,,,,Don't blow it unless you want to become a contractor, and that will take at least 10 years.

Just my opinion....:)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I started as a mechanic in manfacturing for about ten yrs.,started taking night courses in electrical,electronics,etc. The last factory I worked in expanded,when it was done I went with the union electrical contractor that did the expansion .Got a nice bump in pay,haven't looked back since. The union is the best source of schooling,but not the only source. Becoming a contractor was the best move I ever made! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
happypuppy said:
I worked ibew, i owned my own, and i currently am a maint mech at a wwtp... So let me also tell u SSSSSTTTTTAAAAAYYYYY!
Job Security , u know where ur goin every day, etc etc.... Stay put

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
City job. Good city jobs are as tough to get as an IBEW position, pay about the same, but don't usually come with the unpredictability of employment resulting in higher annual gross. Plus you still get the benefits, and it's usually a more laid back environment.

I know a couple guys who got out of the union for a slightly less paying city job. They couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Pick what you enjoy doing and you'll never work a day in your life.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If electrical is what you like, study and transfer as a city electrician? The IBEW has been great to me and my family, you make great money, but the work is not always there. Of course I rarely had time off, that I didn't want. Every ones IBEW experience is a little different though.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Stick with the city job and apply for the electrician one every time it comes up.
Either way you will still have to **** around with all the union crap but it is easier for a city type of job because you will always be working.
This way you won't have to buy any blow up rats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.