Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a second pair on klein linesman pliers and they are pretty stiff to open and close with one hand without getting a workout. would be nice to have a second pair in my other bag so i dont have to keep changing them one bag to another. What is the best way to loosen them up? ive sprayed like half a can of W-D40 and worked them open and closed that that didnt help. Tried oil from the plumbers threading machine and also tried hitting the centre with a punch and nothing seems to work. Can someone help!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
WD-40 is Water Displacement Formula Forty = based on fish oil.
It displaces what's ever in there and not meant as a lubricant.

Real machine oil is what you need.

Beleive it or not you could use some gypsum power, talc power on then work it in and then re oil.

I would not be pounding on it. but you might smell like a babies bottom.

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
I could never understand breaking in pliers. If they're stiff, take them back and get a new pair. Or get your money back and invest in Knipex.

The only time I have had pliers stiffen up on me is after I cut through a live wire and that's my own damn fault.

·
Registered
826 Posts
CADPoint said:
WD-40 is Water Displacement Formula Forty = based on fish oil. It displaces what's ever in there and not meant as a lubricant. Real machine oil is what you need. Beleive it or not you could use some gypsum power, talc power on then work it in and then re oil. I would not be pounding on it. but you might smell like a babies bottom.
You are slightly mistaken! " WD-40 is the trademark name of a lubricant, penetrating oil and water-displacing spray" - Wikipedia

"Known as "the can with thousands of uses," WD-40® protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates just about anything. WD-40 is also great when it comes to removing grease, grime, rust, and other marks from most surfaces." - WD40 website

"LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts." WD40 website

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
99cents said:
I could never understand breaking in pliers. If they're stiff, take them back and get a new pair. Or get your money back and invest in Knipex. The only time I have had pliers stiffen up on me is after I cut through a live wire and that's my own damn fault.
What about the pair of knipex linemans I bought last year that were too stiff to use and wouldn't break in? What then?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99cents said:
I could never understand breaking in pliers. If they're stiff, take them back and get a new pair. Or get your money back and invest in Knipex. The only time I have had pliers stiffen up on me is after I cut through a live wire and that's my own damn fault.
There about 4 years old so can't take them back now. I wouldn't get my money back and invest in Knipex linesman, ever. Lots of guys like then but I don't. I like kleins and my other pair goes through hell and still good as new

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I have a second pair on klein linesman pliers and they are pretty stiff to open and close with one hand without getting a workout. would be nice to have a second pair in my other bag so i dont have to keep changing them one bag to another. What is the best way to loosen them up? ive sprayed like half a can of W-D40 and worked them open and closed that that didnt help. Tried oil from the plumbers threading machine and also tried hitting the centre with a punch and nothing seems to work. Can someone help!:thumbup:

Go to Home Depot "RIGHT NOW"!

And get a can of this stuff..

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-11-oz-Penetrating-Catalyst-Lubricant-16PB-THD/202597469

Spray it on(outside because it stinks) and Your linesmen's will be as loose as a beat up worn out pair that's 5 years old..:thumbup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
99cents said:
First time I have heard of it, ponyboy. I would take them back.
Actually I gave them to one of my apprentices to beat on for a while. Once it was obvious they wouldn't break in I told him to take it to lowes and exchange them, worth a shot right? Well the pair they gave him in exchange came out of the package broken in and ready to go and he's been abusing them ever since.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.