Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done work for people who are out of state before and they both payed but this time this lady stiffed me ignored my calls she demanded a invoice i wrote it sent it jumped through her hoops and she refuses to pay I'm pist what can I do??

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
Don't know the rules to your particular state, but did you have a signed contract or signed authorization form of some sort?

If not, you are probably SOL. Maybe small claims, but without a contract, good luck.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
sparkie702 said:
I've done work for people who are out of state before and they both payed but this time this lady stiffed me ignored my calls she demanded a invoice i wrote it sent it jumped through her hoops and she refuses to pay I'm pist what can I do??
If you don't have a contract, nothing. You can try small claims, but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
For out of state you could try pre-authorizing credit cards for a minimum. Then when the work is done, you can charge it. Same thing the hotels do.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
Can you do this with Square ?
Not sure, but I imagine. We do it with anyone who will not be onsite. We do the $750.00 amount that the state has determined is a service call.

We use Intuit....but I am sure they all have the capability.

Reactions: dronai

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Tell her that unless it is paid within x days, you will proceed with filing a lien on her property.

She might not care, but one day decades from now, you will outlive her and her ken will want to sell.

By the way, i'm gonna start spelling "pist" that way, hilarious.:thumbup:

i wish service calls were $750

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
Basically you can't T&M above $750.00. The state wants a written Home Improvement Contract complete with a price, not $xx per hour till it's done.

You can however T&M up to $750.00 on a Service and Repair Contract.

One thing I hate, we have to put one of those stupid initial boxes for the customer to say it's okay to take the damaged parts.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Can you do this with Square ?
Don't think Square has pre-auth.

But just do the work and swipe the card when the work is complete. Otherwise, take the credit card # ahead of time and then just process the payment afterwards.

These stories are numerous and guys always complain "oh 2.75% is too much, I'm not paying that!" Yet it easily pays for itself.

Take credit card number if you are concerned getting paid will be difficult or just have a bad feeling, or better yet, make it your standard business practice.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
sm clams will take more of your time than you're owed.

They will grant you a judgement the defendant can ignore

You can then (after 30 days) ask for a writ of execution

Which you'll need to hire a sheriff to serve

But even the Sheriff's will tell you how iffy the outcome(s) of a WoE is, to the point not many are served at all

~CS~

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
use the anger that she gave to you to make sure you do your best to never let it happen again (even though it probably will): COD, iron clad contracts, refuse work with FU contract clauses, jack your rates for certain customers, etc. Your time might be better spent on those other things than trying to get the bottom feeder to pay. Consider it as a cheap lesson, since it could get oh so much worse.

Reactions: dogleg

·
Estwing magic
27,287 Posts
My sniff test has never failed me. If it stinks going in, it stinks going out. In four years of doing this, I have been stung once and that was for $1600.00. That guy still pi$$es me off but I blame myself. It stunk going in but I ignored it.

If someone seems a little sketchy I take money up front.

Getting stung is part of being in business. Minimize the risk and write off the mistakes. Try not to take it personally even if it does pi$$ you off.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I would depend on how much it pissed me off. If I thought she did it on purpose and I did a good job I may go the lien route or turn it in to collection because they will hound the **** out of her.
If there was any chance that we did not do our job then I may let it slide.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.