Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MDShunk, i was brousing on some old megger posts, and I came across one where you say that ,quote" ... Maybe I should write a short essay on using one for troubleshooting one day. "
Hey I'll be the first one to read it if you ever have some time to write it.
I thought that maybe having somebody reminding you about it, would give you a little push:)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You post questions I'll post answers.
Brian i didn't mean to leave you out, you've been a great help to me when i first got my megger and all. You answered all my questions at the time.:thumbsup:
I know Marc has used his megger in residential a whole bunch and thought an essay on the experiences, numbers, trouble, etc he encountered would be great.

Now i do have a question:
I was talking to this older electrician one time, he never heard of a megger before, he has about 25 years experience he said. So he was quick to descredit the use of it.
Ater i explain the adventages and use of it, he asked me: " well, the insulation is stripped at every receptacle and device, so how would the megger readings be effective if so?"

Here's what i said:
"you megger between H-G,N-G,H-N(if you are sure there's no loads downstream), so since you are checking for any leakeage between the conductors insulation, at the receptacle or device the sonductor stripped ends on a terminal, which is away from the other conductor terminal your meggering."

Brian Does this answer sound correct to you?

Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How long should I typically megger nm cable? I usually load it for about 20 seconds or so...It seems like it either goes to max value really quick or it slowly works it way to max....Is 20 seconds too short of time?
Actually i was told by Brian, if my memory still works fine, that a minute is more than enough in residential applications.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Yeah, I've actually been thinking a lot about that, and similar things lately. I'm probably going to open an informational website of my own here soon. It will be simple, and modeled after http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/ ,which is a site of a friend of mine. It's basically purely informational, and all text and pictures. I intend to make it so that mobile devices can display the website quickly (no long load times) and easily see it on the screen.

For now, I'd say that you've got all the information you need on megger use. Brian and I have certainly written enough about it on forum posts. I've got some more information sprinkled on other forum sites, so just Google 'megger mdshunk'. I've used the same user name on pretty much all the forum sites, except for a couple that make you sign up under your full name (Marc D. Shunk). I suppose I could be Maryland's hunk, but I've never lived in Maryland. I'm also not much of a hunk, except to ugly women who have had too much to drink.

·
Can't Remember
10,939 Posts
I took some of the info and put it on a post it note. I stuck the post it note on the Stitch in time booklet that goes with the megger. I think what I need is some more experience with it. It would be nice to be able to pull some of the romex out and be able to say here is the problem. I have a bunch of poles to fix when the ground thaws, a bunch of bad UF to try it out on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I've actually been thinking a lot about that, and similar things lately. I'm probably going to open an informational website of my own here soon. It will be simple, and modeled after http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/ ,which is a site of a friend of mine. It's basically purely informational, and all text and pictures. I intend to make it so that mobile devices can display the website quickly (no long load times) and easily see it on the screen.

Thank you Marc. I'll be looking forward to checking out your website whe ready.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.