Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Strip Light Retro Kit

Have any of you installed these retrofit kits for 8ft Florscent fixtures converting to 2 - 4 ft units with F32T8 Lamps They are made by TCP Inc ..I am just curious how long it takes a electrician to covert 1 8ft strip light using these kits..I am bidding a job that currently has 274 8ft strip lights..I was thinking around 30 minutes??

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Have any of you installed these retrofit kits for 8ft Florscent fixtures converting to 2 - 4 ft units with F32T8 Lamps They are made by TCP Inc ..I am just curious how long it takes a electrician to covert 1 8ft strip light using these kits..I am bidding a job that currently has 274 8ft strip lights..I was thinking around 30 minutes??
I've used them. First one took an hour but that was because of the location. The next ones went much faster. 30 mins. sounds about right, but as I found, it depends on the location and things that might be in the way.

Personally, I would replace the whole fixture.
Not always the best thing to do. If there is conduit running in/out, retrofitting is much faster/easier.
Also, you can buy almost four 4' lamps for what one 8' lamp costs.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I've retrofitted fixtures with that same kit, and I've replaced the whole fixture. It's about a wash in terms of cost and time, I've found. Do what you want. You owe it to yourself to experiment on the customer's dime. :laughing:

Reactions: Jumbo23

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
We used to retrofit 200,000 sqft factories. The easiest way to do them, in the eye of the customer is to do them in stages. We had a guy at the shop prepping everything. Tombstones, ballasts, retro plates, and wagos. Prep it all, wire it all, and pop a wago on each end of the ballast feed. Then on the lift one guy strips the 8 foot, while the other installs the new set. Don't bother with the ballast nut, tek screw them up. The installation crew get each one done in about 6-8 minutes, once you drive over to the fixture. Then have a third guy running garbage around. Once you get the system down, the to guys on the lift end up racing each other, and if all works well, they never get off the lift.
Our "shop guy" was a wife sitting in front of a tv, getting paid per unit.

That's if we're talking about the same kits

·
Registered
Electrician
3,669 Posts
We used to retrofit 200,000 sqft factories. The easiest way to do them, in the eye of the customer is to do them in stages. We had a guy at the shop prepping everything. Tombstones, ballasts, retro plates, and wagos. Prep it all, wire it all, and pop a wago on each end of the ballast feed. Then on the lift one guy strips the 8 foot, while the other installs the new set. Don't bother with the ballast nut, tek screw them up. The installation crew get each one done in about 6-8 minutes, once you drive over to the fixture. Then have a third guy running garbage around. Once you get the system down, the to guys on the lift end up racing each other, and if all works well, they never get off the lift.

So, you are the guy that leaves the mess behind?:jester:

I often find two sizes of screws, some even in the same fixture when I have to replace ballast.

Tek screws for the grounds, if they used the ground at all.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
So, you are the guy that leaves the mess behind?:jester:

I often find two sizes of screws, some even in the same fixture when I have to replace ballast.

Tek screws for the grounds, if they used the ground at all.
.....sigh...those types of comments are tired and very usefull.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

sounds like a no poop break gig.....:whistling2:

~CS~

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
sounds like a no poop break gig.....:whistling2:

~CS~
It was mind numbing work, the employee turn over rate was terrible. I was with the company for 10 years , but after we switched to retrofitting, two years was all I could take. Most guys burned out after 6 months.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Not always the best thing to do. If there is conduit running in/out, retrofitting is much faster/easier.
Also, you can buy almost four 4' lamps for what one 8' lamp costs.
:thumbsup:

This. Is. GENIUS! I especially like the part where you put one of the guys wife to work. :laughing:.

This story has money written all over it. :thumbup:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It has prostitution written all over it MH

These retro whores call me from time to time

always the same bean counter mentality

eff them and the Green Machine garbage they rode in on!

~CS~

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
It has prostitution written all over it MH

These retro whores call me from time to time

always the same bean counter mentality

eff them and the Green Machine garbage they rode in on!

~CS~
I work for one of these guys as a sub, 2 or 3 times a year. He only throws me the small piddly jobs that he cant get out to, but I make out great and he pays me within out 3-5 days. Its all about getting a rhythm and hustling.

My BIL went to work full-time for the guy, and he's making money hand over fist. Unfortunately, its nothing but road work, but he doesn't seem to mind.

Id be interested in doing more retro-fits on my own, but this will come in time. I need to start staying up on what out on the market that people are buying, and where the rebates are.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
You guys need to start more threads like this.
Customer must have seen this thread.
I installed retro kits in 3 lights today!:thumbup:

BTW, my post about the time needed depended on the situation at hand, was spot on today.
Well, I didn't exactly do each in 30 mins. I had to do it in the shop with cars, lifts, workers in the way. All while trying to drag a 12' step ladder around trying to find clear enough spots to set it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.