Electrician Talk banner

Stranded Wire 101

9K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Hmacanada 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a general consensus on the joining of two stranded wires...I've been doing electrical work for a good couple of years. I started a new job and in the last month I've found three people that believe that you should twist the wires (with your Klein's) prior to making a wire nut joint. I'm personally appalled!!!!!! I believe I've been well trained and I was always told your Klein's should never touch the copper prior to joining the joint. What's your thoughts???

Discussion starter · #8 ·
By no means do I question my wiring methods...and yes I twist solid...but not stranded...and I always pull on my joints if i question the connections...I'm kinda feeling out what others were thinking on the subject...I don't think I've ran into three people in my whole career that twist stranded prior to wire nutting a joint...now three in on one job within a month =/

Discussion starter · #9 ·
. There's absolutely no reason to ever do this . As long as the wire is stripped long enough ( so it doesn't bottom out on the insulation ) and the wire nut is tight , you'll never have an issue . I rarely pre twist solid . I almost always use ideal twisters and have the screwdriver that drives them .
right...me too

Discussion starter · #12 ·
It's streetscape and we're mostly using wp Polaris lugs...but wire nuts in the smaller poles in the above ground handholes. The line we're using inline fuses and wire nut'n the neutral and ground

Discussion starter · #24 ·
If the stranded wire isn't hot, I'll hand twist it then put the wire nut on. If it is hot, I'll just let the wire nut do it's job. I'm not a fan of wagos except for solid wire. Currently I use only stranded wire for what I do and hand twisting them together seems to give a good, solid connection.
Yea...that's how I was taught

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.