Electrician Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
"A" Inside Wireman LU 134
100 Posts
I always twist beforehand. Just the way I was taught. Also only use 3m multicolor wire nuts. They hold better than any others I've used. Can't say whether it's right or wrong. It works for me.

·
Conservitum Americum
9,058 Posts
As an apprentice I had an old timer show me. That's a one heck of a solid way to tie wire together. If I remember correctly, the wires cross then fold back on each other and twist, so that there is two separate twists, one wire twisting on the other. I don't know if I said that well enough.

Then solder letting the solder wet the whole splice and fillet all of the spaces.

·
Conservitum Americum
9,058 Posts
When I do stranded, I spread apart the strands fanning them out. Then I lay one fanned strand on top of the other and twist. It kind of braids them together and forms a really strong joint. Then wirenut or solder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If the stranded wire isn't hot, I'll hand twist it then put the wire nut on. If it is hot, I'll just let the wire nut do it's job. I'm not a fan of wagos except for solid wire. Currently I use only stranded wire for what I do and hand twisting them together seems to give a good, solid connection.
Yea...that's how I was taught

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Im a big fan of wagos, but after a lighting Reno job where I was using them on stranded, I decided to stop. I didn't have any failures, but I really didn't like the connection that stranded made in a wagos.

Maybe I stripped to much insulation off, maybe i didn't hold my tongue right, who knows. But until I find a way to use stranded in a wagos and not feel shaky about the connection, im gonna have to stick with wire nuts.
Wago's are a bad choice for solid.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Solid wires twist around themselves better than stranded.

I twist the hell out of my nuts and I once returned to a job I did and had a wire nut pretty much fall out of a JB I opened. Since then I don't trust stranded connections as much as solid.

I wouldn't have thought it could have ever happened to me. It left me wondering if the stranded wire wants to untwist or something.
Time to start using a quality wire nut like a tan twister!!:thumbup:

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
When I do stranded, I spread apart the strands fanning them out. Then I lay one fanned strand on top of the other and twist. It kind of braids them together and forms a really strong joint. Then wirenut or solder.
Wow! How long does it take you to do 30 #10 splices that way???:001_huh:
I cut em, strip em, and twist the wire nut on.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
chrisg9265 said:
Yea...that's how I was taught
That's what I do too. Hand twist, clip to length, Wirenut on. I had problems getting Wirenuts to start (3M tan/reds) when using my linemans to twist stranded wires. No clue why, but I hand twist as it makes me feel better than just lining up the wires and cranking the nut on. I also pre-twist solid, so there's that too.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That's what I do too. Hand twist, clip to length, Wirenut on. I had problems getting Wirenuts to start (3M tan/reds) when using my linemans to twist stranded wires. No clue why, but I hand twist as it makes me feel better than just lining up the wires and cranking the nut on. I also pre-twist solid, so there's that too.
Ban the pre-twister please.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
methinks all the wires entering the nut of equal length should be a strong consideration.....~CS~
Absolutely! If you don't get them about perfect (stranded wire), one conductor gets pulled into the wirenut while the other gets pushed out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
jrannis said:
I think if I caught someone using a western union splice and then soldering it, I would get their money. Reminds me of the hipster my daughter saw in Brooklyn using an old style typewriter while sitting on the sidewalk. :laughing:
I used to use western unions all the time. To splice tracer wire for buried plastic pipes gas/water. Don't anymore though , since going on my own it's a butt splice and a heat shrink way faster !!
As far as putting connections together.... Twist solids together. And stranded places together trim to same length and spin on wire nut

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.