Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I agree with Shockdoc on this one. My guess would be the heater is causing cold air from inside the wall to flow through the thermostat when it is on.

I will pass on the ghost theory.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What svh19044 has described is exactly the same issue as I am experiencing. I have tried to contact Honeywell in regard to this issue, which to me is a serious design flaw and safety hazard, with no success so far. I have 4 of these installed in my home and it makes me want to replace them all. Thanks for the input folks.
I would try a simple test. Pull the t-stat out of the wall leaving the wires attached. Tape the opening and around the wires. Turn the heater on and see if the t-stat continues to malfunction.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
OK I tried removing it from the wall as suggested, taping the wall, and the same thing happens. As I've said before, as it draws heat, and the room starts to heat up, as verified by indpenedent thermometers, the temperature readout on the thermostat actually drops. As far as I know, an eight foot long baseboard heater at 240 volts would draw 2000 watts, so this should be ok, correct?
The only thing I can think of is there is an air draft occurring when the heater is on. You said that room has a large heat loss. My guess is cold air is being drawn into the space and affecting the t-stat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.