Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer has a Honeywell RLV310A line voltage thermostat connected to one eight foot 240v baseboard heater. I've tried 2 of these in the same location and have encountered the exact same issue. The thermostat registeres the correct temperature in the room until heat is called for. Then the temperature registered by the thermostat actually goes down instead of up. And it just continues to draw heat (indefinitley I guess). As I said I've tried 2 of them and they do the same thing. Once I turn down the setting on the thermostat and it stops drawing current, the thermostat again registers the correct temperature. Any ideas as to what is going on? Hard to believe both of them were defective.
One thing to note, this thermostat is mounted directly next to a Lux low voltage thermostat that controls their radiant floor heat. The electric heat is for backup.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What svh19044 has described is exactly the same issue as I am experiencing. I have tried to contact Honeywell in regard to this issue, which to me is a serious design flaw and safety hazard, with no success so far. I have 4 of these installed in my home and it makes me want to replace them all. Thanks for the input folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I tried removing it from the wall as suggested, taping the wall, and the same thing happens. As I've said before, as it draws heat, and the room starts to heat up, as verified by indpenedent thermometers, the temperature readout on the thermostat actually drops. As far as I know, an eight foot long baseboard heater at 240 volts would draw 2000 watts, so this should be ok, correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.