Electrician Talk banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I wired a Hot Tub. While in the tub, you could feel a trickle of electricity when you touched the concrete around it, about 2 or 3 volts. I finally proved to the POCO that their sub-station about 1,000 ft away was leaking voltage into the ground.
As I neared the sub station, I could get 10V by sticking the meter's leads into the ground 6ft apart.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There are a lot of good ideas in the replies you received.

Get a current probe on the ground, neutral and feeders.

If you clamp around the hots and neutral, ideally you will measure zero
net current. Any imbalance is returned through the ground and indicates a fault in the system you are trying to fix.

If the the current from above is zero and you read current on the grounds, then you can expect that the next level up circuit is passing ground current through the system your are troubleshooting. Said next level circuit is the POCO and the neighbors. Think about the big picture schematic.

I was touring Alberta a while ago and was wondering about the single wire they used to power all the transformers feeding farm houses along the road.
Turns out that ground is commonly used as the return up there. Qualifies as the sticks I guess. If this is the system you are dealing with, all you have do is look up at the pole and count the wires. No need to call the POCO to answer this question.

Cheers
EJPHI

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.