Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here do streetlight maintenance?
I am considering getting a bucket truck or towable boom lift and subbing out to the local utility company that handles all the maintenance.

·
Bilge Rat
7,014 Posts
Even if you have flaggers, always keep one eye on traffic.

I've never been hit, but I know guys who have.

Also, use a short lanyard on your harness, the last thing you need is to get knocked out of the bucket and dangle in the path of traffic.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I've done parking lot lights and roadway lights.in campus type settings. A towable lift to me would be a burdon.I used a 55' truck, 2 man bucket with 4 outriggers,but a 42' would be great.

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
does anyone here do streetlight maintenance?
I am considering getting a bucket truck or towable boom lift and subbing out to the local utility company that handles all the maintenance.
Before you buy anything, you need to contact the utility or city on the process to become their vendor and see if you're fit for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. I am struggling to find info on becoming a vendor for them online, I am going to call around and see what I can come up with. This is my first time trying to sub out to a bigger company/municipality so i'm on here to see if anyone has experience with doing this

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Most likely this will fall under prevailing wage laws, don't forget that when figuring your costs.
Also in larger cities that sub services out like this, the contract is awarded.
Not simply call first guy in phone book.
You will probably need to contact your insurance agent as well. As this type of work exposes you and them to more risk, more risk equals more $$ in premiums.

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
And if you're delinquent on taxes, you're usually on their poo list.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I specialize in private street lighting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts