Stretchable wiring uses liquid metal
Peter Clarke
2/1/2014 01:28 PM EST
2 comments
NO RATINGS
· Login to Rate

Tweet
inShare1

LONDON – Stretchable wiring that could be developed for use in a range of applications from headphones to phone chargers has been reported by researchers from North Carolina State University (Raleigh, North Carolina).

The wires – which can stretch up to eight times their original length while maintaining electrical conductivity – are composed of a tube of highly elastic polymer that is then filled with a liquid alloy of gallium and indium, which is an efficient conductor of electricity, according to authors of a paper recently published in Advanced Functional Materials.

The stretchable skin is made of a triblock copolymer, poly[styrene-b-(ethylene-co-butylene)-b-styrene] (SEBS) resin. As expected, measurements show that the resistance increases as the wire elongates and the cross-sectional area reduces. Fibers with large diameters of about 600-microns change from a triangular to a more circular cross-section during stretching, the researchers reported.

The polymer tube, filled with liquid metal, can be stretched to many times its original length. (Source: NCSU).

"Previous efforts to create stretchable wires focus on embedding metals or other electrical conductors in elastic polymers, but that creates a trade-off," said Michael ****ey, an assistant professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at NC State and co-author of the research paper. "Increasing the amount of metal improves the conductivity of the composite, but diminishes its elasticity."

The NC State approach keeps the elastic stretchable polymer and the conductive medium separate and thereby maximizes conductivity without impairing elasticity. "In short, our wires are orders of magnitude more stretchable than the most conductive wires, and at least an order of magnitude more conductive than the most stretchable wires currently in the literature," ****ey said, in a statement.

Some challenges remain before the wires can be considered for commercial production. One is the issue of the leakage of the indium-gallium metal if wires are broken.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Ok Sandman

I'll be the straight man then....

If there's stretchable wire, there's a 'wire stretcher' , right?

~CS~

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol absolutely! I've pulled wire with my Dodge pick-up before.:eek: Does that count?
I had to laugh when I saw that article...I can't count the times I wish I could have stretched wire just a couple more inches, Dang it!

·
Registered
Electrician
3,585 Posts
lol absolutely! I've pulled wire with my Dodge pick-up before.:eek: Does that count?
I had to laugh when I saw that article...I can't count the times I wish I could have stretched wire just a couple more inches, Dang it!
That's what she said!

Reactions: stuiec and Big John

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,246 Posts
Ok Sandman

I'll be the straight man then....

If there's stretchable wire, there's a 'wire stretcher' , right?

~CS~
Used one of these to pull 100 RG59s thru a looooonnnng duct bank. For sure some of the wires had to get stretched. 180 feet to the top of the fly jib for that pull

·
13,020 Posts
Seen a lot of unorthodox wire pulls, but using a crawler crane definitely takes the cake.
Now you've done it. You issued the challenge, I must accept it.

At some point in the as-of-yet undetermined future, I'm going to pull wire in with these:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
erics37 said:
Now you've done it. You issued the challenge, I must accept it. At some point in the as-of-yet undetermined future, I'm going to pull wire in with these:
Talk about milking a job!........is this thing on?

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,246 Posts
Seen a lot of unorthodox wire pulls, but using a crawler crane definitely takes the cake.
I'm curious if they were charged an hourly rate to use the crane? That could be expensive.
We were working in a refinery and had to pull almost 800 feet out of the duct bank, to refeed into a control center. The crane was sitting there, so I asked the operator to give us a pull.
I wish I had taken a picture, of the pull. All my project manager could do was shake his head when he saw the pull. Even I was amazed that it worked.
The cables came out of the duct bank, went up to a pulley on the jib, back down to a pulley at the duct bank, up again to a pulley on the main boom and back down to the duct bank where they were tied off. Using pulleys and the hooks, we pulled a crap load of wire out of the ground:eek:

I have also used an 80 mobile crane to pull underground cables. I think they were 2/0 KV cables. I can tell you that pulling with a crane and a steel cable, had to be the smoothest, easiest pull ever. No sudden jerks or damage:thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts