Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help would be appreciated... Today I had a customer who's stairway night lights were out (120 volt). I checked the photo sensor outside and it was fine. The photo sensor feeds two lights over the garage doorway before the line runs into the house and to the stairs.

I put a tone generator on the line at the stairs (black only) and got a strong signal at the photo sensor. Same for the neutral.

I bypassed the photo sensor and the garage lights work fine, but still no stair lights. I get about 2 volts at the stairs. Turned off the breaker and voltage dropped to 0.

I'm stumped. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Any help would be appreciated... Today I had a customer who's stairway night lights were out (120 volt). I checked the photo sensor outside and it was fine. The photo sensor feeds two lights over the garage doorway before the line runs into the house and to the stairs.

I put a tone generator on the line at the stairs (black only) and got a strong signal at the photo sensor. Same for the neutral.

I bypassed the photo sensor and the garage lights work fine, but still no stair lights. I get about 2 volts at the stairs. Turned off the breaker and voltage dropped to 0.

2 volts from what to what? Ungrounded to grounded, ungrounded to grounding?

·
13,020 Posts
Did you physically open up the 2nd garage light and check out the connection feeding in to the stairs?

A toner has it's place but I prefer physically checking splices if part of a circuit is mysteriously not working after a certain point.

·
Eeeeeevil Bitch
2,256 Posts
really, silly question, but sometimes it's the right one.....did you check the light bulb itself? Or flip the breaker? Or that gfi hidden in the garage for some weird reason?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, erics37, I checked both lights over the garage and the wiring is fine.

Answer to BCSparkyGirl: My tests at the stairs were on the line feeding it, with the chain of lights diconnected. (they all work fine with another power source). No GFCI on this circuit. Breaker not tripped.

Answer to Jlarson: 2 volts AC black/white wires

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Your initial assumptions as completely incorrect. You state, "continuity but no voltage", yet you checked continuity with a toner? Give me a break. :laughing: Get out an extension cord or roll of THHN and check with a meter. Something's broke somewhere.

Reactions: hotwire1955

·
Mostly Harmless
1,513 Posts
Tone generators can actually be wonderful troubleshooting tools in some situations! They work perfectly with romex. I've had mine lead me to tripped GFI receptacles in 2 different basements. In both cases, the homeowner had no idea that those receptacles even existed. One was in a linen closet behind some towels and another in an unfinished area behind a bunch of boxes!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
785 Posts

Begin by switching to low impedance or a solenoid meter. Then once you discover you have 0 volts, switch to continuity and find the break

·
Conservitum Americum
8,956 Posts
Your initial assumptions as completely incorrect. You state, "continuity but no voltage", yet you checked continuity with a toner? Give me a break. :laughing: Get out an extension cord or roll of THHN and check with a meter. Something's broke somewhere.
Toners only work on normally open wires, short them together and the tone stops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts