Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Never Used Scotchkote
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been wondering this for quite a while...
all of those code violations that we see, is there any way that we can put a stop to the violations that we find so they get fixed, instead of just suggesting to the owner to get it fixed, which most just ignore, like being able to call some office to get then to fine the owner, or ti shut the power off. Or do we just need to keep telling the owners that it needs to be fixed?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Only a Fire Marshall can close a place down because of code violations.
Building inspectors can too.

The POCO can shut the power off. And I'll bet that if it's an
egregious
problem, the local constabulary can close a place of business.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know how all cities do it but we have a code enforcement office. They follow up on any complaint and/or violation. They have ALOT of authority here, even up to if they deem necessary to seize your property. That rarely happens but it did happen here about 8 months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haven't there been enough stories of old people freezing to death! There are now laws against turning off grannies power. Now I know why you are all rats:censored:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Here he comes to save the day ......

Haven't there been enough stories of old people freezing to death! There are now laws against turning off grannies power. Now I know why you are all rats:censored:
OK I got it, don't shut off Grannies power but let her die in an electrical fire.

Makes perfect sense. :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Not a stupid question at all.

The politics are inescapable, which is some of what makes the whole thing a sort of game. Granny's inability to pay her bill shouldn't justify the PUCO making her home uninhabitable, but safety issues are a whole different thing and the building department, fire department and PUCO can all cause power to be removed from any location considered to be too unsafe. Problem is with "due process." Code violations, in themselves, aren't necessarily unsafe to the point of imposing the power of the jurisdiction over the rights of private owners.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
i have been wondering this for quite a while...
all of those code violations that we see, is there any way that we can put a stop to the violations that we find so they get fixed, instead of just suggesting to the owner to get it fixed, which most just ignore, like being able to call some office to get then to fine the owner, or ti shut the power off. Or do we just need to keep telling the owners that it needs to be fixed?
You are a MA guy so start with our "Rule 4"

Draft Copy 2008 Massachusetts Electrical Code

The inspector of wires has the power but I have only seen them exercise it when there is clearly a serous hazard.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
Wouldn't that mean your name would me MightyRat not MightyMouse?

I don't think rats like mice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner but I have a life other than wasting endless
hours on endless forums. But hey, if you don't know what you're doing, maybe
it's helpful to ask the others that don't know what they're doing.:thumbsup: So, I gather
the consensus is it's OK to freeze granny into the ground for the sake of saving
her from a perceived (refer to previous sentence) electrical disaster. I'm sure
her survivors will take great comfort in knowing this.:( Sure do miss working in
those 200 year old houses on the water in Annapolis, MD. Rusted, corroded fuse
panels in 4' high basements dripping with moisture. You could see when they had
enough of knob and tube and strung zip-cord to luminaires, switches, receptacles, up down and all around three floors. Don't need no stinkin' grounds.:no: Now that I think about it, maybe it's safer if you all spend your time messin' up on a forum rather than in peoples homes:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
So, I gather
the consensus is it's OK to freeze granny into the ground for the sake of saving
her from a perceived (refer to previous sentence) electrical disaster.
You're the best, see I would not know from the information given that Granny would freeze and that the violations where not real safety issues. But you, from just the same info have figured out

• This problem only happens when it's cold
  • All the buildings the OP is asking about have Grannys in them
  • No grannys have blankets
  • No grannys have family
  • No granny knows how to call for help.
  • That the violations are not life threatening.

Damn you good. :laughing:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner but I have a life other than wasting endless hours on endless forums.
As opposed to what you're doing, which is saving the world from the evils of bad wiring and paying Granny's electric bill for her.

But hey, if you don't know what you're doing, maybe it's helpful to ask the others that don't know what they're doing.
Yep, we're all just a bunch of hack rats. What do we care if Granny dies in a fire or she freezes to death. As long as we get paid. Granny's gonna be in heaven regardless.

So, I gather the consensus is it's OK to freeze granny into the ground for the sake of saving her from a perceived (refer to previous sentence) electrical disaster. I'm sure her survivors will take great comfort in knowing this.
As I said, we don't care. We're just a bunch of rats who only care about cheese.

Sure do miss working in those 200 year old houses on the water in Annapolis, MD. Rusted, corroded fuse panels in 4' high basements dripping with moisture. You could see when they had enough of knob and tube and strung zip-cord to luminaires, switches, receptacles, up down and all around three floors. Don't need no stinkin' grounds.
Is there a point to this part?

Now that I think about it, maybe it's safer if you all spend your time messin' up on a forum rather than in peoples homes.
Hey, we're hack rats. We live to screw up wiring and kill others. And we don't care.

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner but I have a life other than wasting endless
hours on endless forums. But hey, if you don't know what you're doing, maybe
it's helpful to ask the others that don't know what they're doing.:thumbsup: So, I gather
her from a perceived (refer to previous sentence) electrical disaster. I'm sure
her survivors will take great comfort in knowing this.:( Sure do miss working in
those 200 year old houses on the water in Annapolis, MD. Rusted, corroded fuse
panels in 4' high basements dripping with moisture. You could see when they had
enough of knob and tube and strung zip-cord to luminaires, switches, receptacles, up down and all around three floors. Don't need no stinkin' grounds.:no: Now that I think about it, maybe it's safer if you all spend your time messin' up on a forum rather than in peoples homes:thumbup:

And I ask again why in hell do we get all the freaking fruit loops.

And why do these jerk offs never post anything in regards to electricity?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts