Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine say's that you can put a sub-panel in a commercial bathroom (retail store) as long as the main disconnect is somewhere else.

Is this true? is there a NEC code that supports this?

Thanks! :blink:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(E) Not Located in Bathrooms.
In dwelling units, dormitories, and guest rooms or guest suites, overcurrent devices, other than supplementary overcurrent protection, shall not be located in bathrooms.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(E) Not Located in Bathrooms. In dwelling units, dormitories, and guest rooms or guest suites, overcurrent devices, other than supplementary overcurrent protection, shall not be located in bathrooms.

It doesn't state commercial buildings:whistling2:

But I still wouldn't do it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
The section only applies to dwellings, hotels, etc. So I read this as a panel in a restaurant, factory, brothel, etc. is legal

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will post in this thread what the outcome of this project is.

He is going to put the Sub-panel in the bathroom, oops, let's call it a lavatory since there is no tub or shower.

The job is in northern California. I will post if the inspector signs off on it.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,494 Posts
BBQ said:
Absolutely as long as you also maintain the clearances and workspace required by 110.26.
He can place it in the handicapped stall.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sub-panel in Commercial Bathroom

The inspector signed off on the permit for the Sub-panel in the Commercial Bathroom.

200 amp three phase 120/208 42 spaces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts