Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Government Contractor
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that you should NOT bond the neutral and ground in a sub-panel (for numerous reasons), could this still be an issue (is it worth rewiring the sub-panel) to unbond them in the sub-panel?

As you can see below the sub-panel is directly connected to the main panel (with main disconnect) where neutral/ground is bonded.

Wondering if this is something I should be concerned about fixing, thanks!

Electricity Wood Electrical wiring Cable Circuit component

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,511 Posts
So I know that you should NOT bond the neutral and ground in a sub-panel (for numerous reasons), could this still be an issue (is it worth rewiring the sub-panel) to unbond them in the sub-panel?

As you can see below the sub-panel is directly connected to the main panel (with main disconnect) where neutral/ground is bonded.

Wondering if this is something I should be concerned about fixing, thanks!

View attachment 158797
If it were me... I would be guided by the "numerous reasons."

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,814 Posts
You need a better picture for us to see, but where is the ground conductor in the sub? I only see service entrance cable.
Yes I would do it right, it is only a few wires and a short piece of sub panel cable

·
Government Contractor
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need a better picture for us to see, but where is the ground conductor in the sub? I only see service entrance cable.
Yes I would do it right, it is only a few wires and a short piece of sub panel cable
Sorry, this was a friend who was asking me about it and yes I agree it's a mess. Bonding in main panel is at the very bottom (can't really see it in the picture)

Circuit component Electronic engineering Electricity Audio equipment Adhesive

Electricity Electrical wiring Cable Gas Engineering

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,814 Posts
Sorry, this was a friend who was asking me about it and yes I agree it's a mess. Bonding in main panel is at the very bottom (can't really see it in the picture)

View attachment 158800

View attachment 158801
Main panel looks ok, sub panel is the issue. Needs 4 conductor feed and a separate ground bar with bonding screw removed on neutral bar.

·
Government Contractor
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Main panel looks ok, sub panel is the issue. Needs 4 conductor feed and a separate ground bar with bonding screw removed on neutral bar.
Thanks, and yeah that was my concern as well (among other things), i'll be over there tomorrow to take a look myself and help him get things fixed.

Regarding the feeder, there are 4 conductors running on the 2/0 just kind of hard to see in the picture, neutral is on the lug you can see in sub-panel (on right), the other feeder line you can't really see in the picture (look for red tape), and the ground is terminated on the neutral bar.

Just wasn't sure if the bonding in sub-panel made much of a difference since it doesn't run through any metal conduit and is bonded ~5 feet away anyways (yes I know it's not right just thinking safety wise, and how long I can put off going over to help lol).

I'll know more tomorrow when i can get my amp meter on it and do some testing, but initial thought was to try and move the sub-panel up since the ground bars on that homelite sub-panel are on bottom left and right (so not enough cable to do without having to splice grounds)

·
Hackenschmidt
12,263 Posts
I am thinking since they didn't run a green wire to the sub there is no parallel path caused by the N-G bond in the sub. Without the EGC with the sub feeders, bonding the N and G in the sub is actually necessary to have a path to clear faults. It's like a three wire cord on a dryer (N to G bond inside the dryer) or outbuildings before you had to run a green wire to the garage.

So what's the hazard? Without a fault I don't know offhand. Now an open neutral to the sub would be MUCH more hazardous without the EGC in the feeder ... anything else?

·
256 Posts
Gentlemen.. Good morning..

On the 200A panel, appears to be a "split-bus" neutral. *And I'm not seeing a "tie-bar" between the interior neutral buses in the 200A panel.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong and it's too early and my eyes playing tricks on me.. Am I missing something here (?)

*Thank you..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts