Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys;
I need to install a sub panel to feed all the dryers and washers in the laundry room for a building. There are 3 washers, 3 dryers, they all need 15A/120V. And then, there are 4 stacked sets which require 20A/120V. They all have to be on dedicated circuits. There is a 200 amp panel within about 30'.

My question is;
1 - Would 100amp sub panel work?
2 - Size and type of cable? (it will be run thru metal studs on the ceiling, inside the building)

I know there have been many similar subjects discussed here but this is going to be my first sub panel installation on my own therefore I need specific answers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,379 Posts
Hi guys;
I need to install a sub panel to feed all the dryers and washers in the laundry room for a building. There are 3 washers, 3 dryers, they all need 15A/120V. And then, there are 4 stacked sets which require 20A/120V. They all have to be on dedicated circuits. There is a 200 amp panel within about 30'.

My question is;
2 - Size and type of cable? (it will be run thru metal studs on the ceiling, inside the building)

I know there have been many similar subjects discussed here but this is going to be my first sub panel installation on my own therefore I need specific answers.

Thanks.
IBTL
Sorry that's 170A, too much for a 100A panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
400 amp?
Anyways, I also found 8 more circuits coming to the laundry room straight from main panel. But there is only 3 neutrals. It does not seem right to me but why would someone do that?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Despite the fact that you list your trade affiliation as 'commercial', it appears you're way in over your head on even the basics of electrical work.

I'd say you need to hire someone with the experience to do the job safely.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Hi guys;

My question is;

Thanks.
What is the combined load?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,152 Posts
Sounds like they are gas dryers with everything 120V. It would probably be fine but without knowing what the load is of the main panel it is impossible to tell if you may overload it. My suspicion is it will be fine but you never know. 100 amps should easily handle the laundry area but not sure about the main

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems like my post did not show up for some reason.
Anyways, what confused me was the manufacturer who told me the current requirements for the machines. The washer is rated 1hp, and the dryer (gas) is rated 5.5A. There are 3 washers, 3 dryers and 4 stacked. According to my calculation, I need a subpanle for 82A. But manufacturer told me that washers pull 10A, and the dryers pull 6A for some reason but appearently he was just guessing. So I will just wait untill I get clear answer.
Please correct me if my calculation was wrong and the cable size (4C#3).
Thank you, I really appreciate.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,379 Posts
It seems like my post did not show up for some reason.
Anyways, what confused me was the manufacturer who told me the current requirements for the machines. The washer is rated 1hp, and the dryer (gas) is rated 5.5A. There are 3 washers, 3 dryers and 4 stacked. According to my calculation, I need a subpanle for 82A. But manufacturer told me that washers pull 10A, and the dryers pull 6A for some reason but appearently he was just guessing. So I will just wait untill I get clear answer.
Please correct me if my calculation was wrong and the cable size (4C#3).
Thank you, I really appreciate.
Show us how you came up with 82A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the specs, it says 1hp for the washer. (Hpx746)/120 gives me 6.2A. For the dryer, it says 1/3hp and 5.5A. So I took it as 5.5A. (3x5.5) + (6.2x3) + ((6.2+5.5)x4) = 82 A.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,379 Posts
On the specs, it says 1hp for the washer. (Hpx746)/120 gives me 6.2A. For the dryer, it says 1/3hp and 5.5A. So I took it as 5.5A. (3x5.5) + (6.2x3) + ((6.2+5.5)x4) = 82 A.
I don't know Canadian code but in the US we have to go by a table for amp draw on motors. Our table doesn't agree with your calculations. Plus you seem to have left out the stacked units.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have the similar table that you guys have but because the manufacturer wants them to be on dedicated circuit, I added them all at 100%. And you see where I multiplied 6.2+5.5 by 4, that is for the stacked units.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
400 amp?
Anyways, I also found 8 more circuits coming to the laundry room straight from main panel. But there is only 3 neutrals. It does not seem right to me but why would someone do that?
You cant utilize those circuits?

I would, then just run whatever else you need from the 200a panel.

I wouldn't put a sub in if you don't need it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts