Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to repair a submersible cable? 5 HP submersible pump hanging down in the bay got chewed on by a sea lion or something and has a chunk taken out of the jacket.

I know it's not ADVISABLE to repair it, just wondering if it's POSSIBLE :whistling2:

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,897 Posts
I've done it using the heat shrink that has the glue stuff in it.

I don't know why it wouldn't hold up in salt water when it works just fine in sewer water........

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done it using the heat shrink that has the glue stuff in it.

I don't know why it wouldn't hold up in salt water when it works just fine in sewer water........
I haven't looked at the cable yet, just talked to the dude on the phone about it.

Sounds like it's just the jacket, hopefully the heat shrink will take care of it. If there is conductor damage maybe I'll reconsider.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
We call that stuff Raychem, dont let the glue get on you it burns! Haha

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Our shop repairs sub cables on pumps daily... Not a 100% sure how they do it, but I know it is more than a butt splice and some heat shrink...

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Heat Shrink Tubing
THICK WALL HEAT SHRINK TUBING
• ULListed.File#E123896.
• Installs and shrinks easily for labor savings. Effective insulating over large transitions. • 3:1 Shrink ratios enables wider cable range and fewer tubing sizes.
• Excellent abrasion, corrosion and environmental resistance properties.
• UV and Fungi Resistant.
Thick Wall Heat Shrink Tubing (HST) is used to dielectrically insulate and encapsulate electrical connections. The HST internal coating has an adhesive and sealant that melts when the tubing is heated to provide a moisture and soil resistant seal.
HST1410
HST84 10171 8-2 AWG, .25 - .65" Shrink Range (.75" Dia.) 1 12 Pkgs. 7 Six 8" pieces per package
HST2/0300 10173 2/0-350 MCM, .5 - 1.4" Shrink Range (1.50" Dia.) 1 12 Pkgs. 10 Four 8" pieces per package
HST14650 10175 Multi-pak, Cable Size 14 AWG-500 MCM 1 12 Pkgs. 9 Five pieces per package
BULK THICK WALL HEAT SHRINK TUBING
EPCO’s bulk Heat Shrink Tubing is the same quality tubing as our popular packaged HST thick wall tubing. www.engproducts.com
Engineered Products Co.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Is it possible to repair a submersible cable? 5 HP submersible pump hanging down in the bay got chewed on by a sea lion or something and has a chunk taken out of the jacket.

I know it's not ADVISABLE to repair it, just wondering if it's POSSIBLE :whistling2:

YES ! it's posssible !
But I suspect most sparkies would prefer not to !

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Our shop repairs sub cables on pumps daily... Not a 100% sure how they do it, but I know it is more than a butt splice and some heat shrink...

When I worked at a mine , we used to VULCANIZE damaged cables .

A procedure with different rubber tapes , and then baked in a mold oven .

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Heat shrink cables with goo inside and call it a day.
Never had a problem with even 600v three phase submersibles. Those shrinks are made for that purpose. How do you think they terminate under ground primary lines?
Some stuff just larger! IMO

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
We need heat shrink lined with heat activated schotchkote, that be the ****. :laughing:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I make waterproof splices in submersible pump wire often heat shrink will work fine but you need an end to slide it over. If you just have some nicks in the insulation use rubber tape half lap it and run it two or three inches each side of nick.Make it three layers thick and stretch it as your winding it on. I usually put a few layers of 33 on top of that.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about long term solutions to keep it from happening again?
This particular pump gets lugged in and out and moved from one place to another all the time. Cord gets draped on stuff, forklifts run it over, marine wildlife f*cks with it, etc. There are all sorts of things I could do with it but educating the employees to take care of electrical equipment is like pushing back the ocean.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
At one chem plant we had some portable electric submersibles that the operators would destroy the cords on all the time, I heat shrunk the **** out of the cord then put old suction hose over the whole thing.

As they were hell on hoses too I always had a supply of hose to use. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts