Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked by a customer to ground fault the split receptacles in the kitchen.
what i was thinking about doing is installing a small subpanel beside the main panel and feed it with a g.f.c.i. breaker from the main panel,then move the split receptacle circuits from the main to the subpanel. this is the cheaper way to do it,but I was wondering if this would cause nuisance tripping of the g.f.c.i.,has anyone ever tried this before? If so how did it work?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I was asked by a customer to ground fault the split receptacles in the kitchen.
what i was thinking about doing is installing a small subpanel beside the main panel and feed it with a g.f.c.i. breaker from the main panel,then move the split receptacle circuits from the main to the subpanel. this is the cheaper way to do it,but I was wondering if this would cause nuisance tripping of the g.f.c.i.,has anyone ever tried this before? If so how did it work?
How many circuits?

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
15a in kitchens?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a nightmare down the road. If you start getting the main gfci trip, you have multiple circuits that could be at fault.
Individual breakers will narrow it down to one circuit.
The panel is federal pioneer,I am not sure how easy the 15 amp d.p. g.f.c.i. breakers are to find. I may have to go to a siemens or square D subpanel and go from there. Which ever way I go it is not cheap. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.