Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a quick question, after 6 months of building my "storage barn" is now complete and I am ready to get power to it.

275' run from main panel (in home which is main structure on property) to the barn.

My plan is as follows:

Main Panel in basement of home; install 100amp 2P breaker in the existing CH 200a panel, run 1/0-1/0-1/0-1 AL URD. I have a three foot run up from this panel to the outside where it will be ran underground using 2" PVC with a 90 deg sweep.

From the sweep leaving the house I will direct bury the cable until I get to my barn 275 away where as I poured the slab with a 3" 90 deg PVC sweep positioned directly below where my sub-panel will go. I have purchased a floating neutral bar for my Homeline 100a panel and will not bond ground to the box.

Questions
1. I get mixed opinions on the URD inside the house I have been told both to use as is or that I need to use service entrance with a jbox going to the urd on the outside of the house. I really don't want to but i want it safe and correct.
2. ground at the building, since I am bringing a ground from the main do I need any sort of earth ground.
3. When I did my voltage drop calcs I came up with 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0, what do you think about my wire size.

lastly, my area requires no electrician to sign off the work, my local inspector is the one dictating the wire size. I have went over my plan with him and he is fine with about anything as long as I pay my permit it seems. I am more than confident on the wiring, less than confident its not exactly to code. Any and all help is much appreciated. I apologize for my lack of terminology and general ignorance.

·
13,020 Posts
Questions
1. I get mixed opinions on the URD inside the house I have been told both to use as is or that I need to use service entrance with a jbox going to the urd on the outside of the house. I really don't want to but i want it safe and correct.
2. ground at the building, since I am bringing a ground from the main do I need any sort of earth ground.
3. When I did my voltage drop calcs I came up with 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0, what do you think about my wire size
Your thread is gonna get shut down.

Your separate building does need a grounding electrode system. It will be bonded to the equipment grounding conductor coming from the main building.

Voltage drop depends on the load imposed on the conductors. I doubt you'll ever max it out to 100 amps, your 1/0 should be fine unless you're continuously running some reasonably heavy loads.

Contact an electrician for advice. Seriously.

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
jimmyb81 said:
Hello All,

I have a quick question, after 6 months of building my "storage barn" is now complete and I am ready to get power to it.

275' run from main panel (in home which is main structure on property) to the barn.

My plan is as follows:

Main Panel in basement of home; install 100amp 2P breaker in the existing CH 200a panel, run 1/0-1/0-1/0-1 AL URD. I have a three foot run up from this panel to the outside where it will be ran underground using 2" PVC with a 90 deg sweep.

From the sweep leaving the house I will direct bury the cable until I get to my barn 275 away where as I poured the slab with a 3" 90 deg PVC sweep positioned directly below where my sub-panel will go. I have purchased a floating neutral bar for my Homeline 100a panel and will not bond ground to the box.

Questions
3. When I did my voltage drop calcs I came up with 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0, what do you think about my wire size.

lastly, my area requires no electrician to sign off the work, my local inspector is the one dictating the wire size. I have went over my plan with him and he is fine with about anything as long as I pay my permit it seems. I am more than confident on the wiring, less than confident its not exactly to code. Any and all help is much appreciated. I apologize for my lack of terminology and general ignorance.
Check the URD, if it is dual rated as USE then it good for inside. I don't know what kind of ground you have, but I don't put that wire in the ground without conduit. I'd run 2 in sch 40 PVC underground. Price copper out and you'll see why we don't run it underground in this situation.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,139 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.