Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just would like to throw this out there.. Industrial Electrician here looking for a job.. I'm in WV right now but would move to Florida in a drop of a hat for a decent job right now. Would love to switch to resi service or stick to the same ole industrial ;)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
aftershockews said:
I do not use Craig's list.
I am looking to hire an apprentice in Memphis, TN.

PM me.
Does your company sponsor apprentices through a state accredited apprenticeship program? If so do they cover all costs of schooling?

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
dawgs said:
And you think that's the right way? It's pretty cheapskate when a contractor can't sponsor an apprentice.
Some states have their shít together and some don't. Tennessee apparently doesnt

·
Premium Member
18,550 Posts
Some states have their shít together and some don't. Tennessee apparently doesnt
One thing the war of northern aggression didn't leave us with is how to make money.
It's still dirt farmers vs the Industrial Age in the north.

We just can't stick together, it's every proud starving man for himself, no working together allowed. We call that charity.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
ponyboy said:
Even if the state doesn't have an accredited program, the contractor is still responsible to get the apprentice into some kind of schooling. That's my thought anyway.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
I'll happy sponsor an apprentice, by taking the money for schooling out of his hourly rate. :laughing:
I'm pretty sure your joking. I hope.

You went through a program correct?

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Even if the state doesn't have an accredited program, the contractor is still responsible to get the apprentice into some kind of schooling. That's my thought anyway.
Why is the contractor responsible? Why shouldn't the apprentice be responsible for himself?

I'm pretty sure your joking. I hope.

You went through a program correct?
No, I am not joking.

I went thru a very expensive program (IBEW) which I paid for via 2% of my pay over a 15 year period, and would continue to pay for if I was still working union.

The contractor may be required to hire apprentices who are in the proper program, but does that make it the contractor's responsibility to provide the training?

Big shops may be able to do that, some have their own in-house training. But that's a big burden on smaller shops. And since it's business, the cost of the training would most likely be coming out of the apprentice's pay either way. Meaning, if they would normally pay you $20/hr, they would take $3/hr out of that to pay for the training and only pay you $17/hr.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts