Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a state certified electrical contractor in Florida (aka master electrician). I do mostly residential and light commercial. I have a situation that is really irritating me.
I am trying to install coach lights on both sides of a garage (mine, in this case). The walls have stone finished. Irregular pieces of stone, looks nice, but a challenge to mount a light. I have a pancake box affixed to both sides. However, when i mount a light, and I've tried a few, the mounting part of the fixture is always too shallow to cover the box or not large enough to cover the box. I keep looking for fixtures with deeper/larger bases but this is frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Jump straight to 15:15

This white PVC is available like it's dimensional lumber -- all over.

A touch of silicone to seal the top and two sides, leaving a weep hole at the bottom...

And some TapCons to adhere the PVC blocking to your stone work...

( A grinder plus a Fein Multi-Master really adds polish to the rough mounting.)

Done.

:thumbup:

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,812 Posts
Yay another Tommy video!!

As usual he did a nice job there. Maybe the OP could have a mason/stoneworker do something similar for his garage, cut in a flat piece of stone.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
It seems like overkill but if it was me I would core a 4 inch hole and mount and octagon. Or at the very least I would chisel in the pan box.

Mech, I am a little disappointed in your post. Anyone that would put that piece of **** on a stone front should not be doing resi ever.

·
Estwing magic
26,764 Posts
It seems like overkill but if it was me I would core a 4 inch hole and mount and octagon. Or at the very least I would chisel in the pan box.

Mech, I am a little disappointed in your post. Anyone that would put that piece of **** on a stone front should not be doing resi ever.
Although the escutcheon gives you a flat service to mount the fixture onto.

I dunno, I have mounted lots of exterior fixtures with a deep enough base to cover a surface mounted pan box. Did one last week where we had to move a fixture to make room for a new window.

·
Super Moderator
7,938 Posts
How about a diamond core to get a recessed round hole? Run the core in as far as you need it and chisel out the stone from inside the core.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts