Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a rewire soon where the customer has completely gutted the house except for the plaster ceilings. They're installing a drop chicago grid ceiling and attaching drywall to it. I'll be installing the recessed lights. My question is about supporting the romex above the drop ceiling. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of just stapling the romex to the plaster ceiling but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has experience in this type of scenario. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,023 Posts
Depending on the situation you may be able to use larger staples such as the ones used for Range wire. Of course you would have to catch the joist.

·
Super Moderator
22,023 Posts
I don't know about now but in NYC we were not allowed to use NM. Bx was the way it was done. I assume it is mc today. I believe #12 was the minimum for circuits also as I never saw 14/2 BX there

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Fire??? I was always ask to do it that way when I started in the trade and never asked questions. 10 years later I still do it that way.
I guess what I am asking is why for this installation?

Do you know this is not a lift out ceiling system, it is a hard lid with Sheetrock, there is no access after its done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I guess what I am asking is why for this installation?

Do you know this is not a lift out ceiling system, it is a hard lid with Sheetrock, there is no access after its done.
Yes even with sheetrock...Drop ceiling = bx. Pain in the a$$ sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts