Electrician Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
1,087 Posts
Tek 5 screws are the way to go. The longer drill bit tip is the trick to have them drill and not break off. I use these cheaper ones from eBay and they have worked great. Drill way better than the Homedepot ones with out the drill tip getting dull. I'm about halfway through the 450 count bag and have not broken one yet. Almost all were through 1/4" steel.

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The better self drilling screws have fine threads usually. Some type of lubricant will make a huge difference on self drillers.

If you can find a supplier or contractor for industrial metal siding, they should have the correct screws. Of course, in Uruguay finding materials may be a challenge. Is ordering from the states an option?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Tek 5 screws are the way to go. The longer drill bit tip is the trick to have them drill and not break off. I use these cheaper ones from eBay and they have worked great. Drill way better than the Homedepot ones with out the drill tip getting dull. I'm about halfway through the 450 count bag and have not broken one yet. Almost all were through 1/4" steel.

Those screws are amazinglyrics good. We get them off ebay as well, dont know if its from the same place, but I think they work better than the ones we used to get from Fastenal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
I've tried some self-drilling screws and it was a pain in the ass, got 1 out of 3 to work, the other 2 broke the drilling tip off of the screw inside the hole.
That's what the clutch is for :)

Use quality screws that ore only as long as necessary along with hex heads and a good magnetic driver tip. Use high speed and experiment with the clutch to find the optimal setting

·
Premium Member
18,614 Posts
I have several thousand feet of conduit and ~300 10"x10" boxes to run on 1/4" thick steel walls. Any ideas on how to efficiently mount the boxes and supports to thick steel like this? Drilling and tapping would take too long. I also thought about maybe welding some strut onto the steel for supports, but that would also be a major additional cost. I'm thinking of possibly using a battery-powered Hilti gun to shoot the strut up, but that doesn't seem ideal to me. Has anyone done something similar to this?
We had a project that called for mounting conduit on steel columns. The battery Hilti gun paid for itself a few times over.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If you'll never need to remove it, I'd shoot pins.

If you may need to remove it, I'd use the 12-24 x 1 1/4 tek 5's posted above. We use a ton of them, I've kept tek5's on my truck for years.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Considering your location I'd get a little wire feed welder and tack the strut in place. I bet any scooter shop has a welder. At least in Asia and South America there's lots around.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts