Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input on some good power quality devices that can be installed in a main distribution panel to protect against surges, spikes, etc. We have a lot of linear and non linear loads, which both need protection. We have spent over $30,000 in the last 8 months on ballast, motors, vfd's and led lighting due to this ongoing problem. What gets me though is we have TVSS's and other surge protection equipment in place already doesn't seem to help the problem, which has been going on for several years but not to this extent. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated, this one has been kicking my @$$ for awhile now.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Two things I know about lightning...
It does what it wants to.
The only chance at protection is a layered approach. TVSS's of varying duty and capacity at every pit stop the power takes through your buildings.

This might be a good time for a professional power quality analysis. I can't begin to tell you how many industrial locations think the PoCo and mother nature are to blame for their ills, but they're actually creating them internally by mistakes in installation and bad wiring and installation practices.

You can start by putting line reactors on all your VFDs. That ought to keep you busy for a spell. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been down that rabbit hole too. After leaving my meter running for a few months and reviewing the data, I started noticing that I was having high THD levels that seemed to be related with the surges\spikes which got me thinking, that our problem might not be coming from the power company, but be a in-house issue. So I called an electrical engineer out to investigate and after a few months the only thing he could come up with was electrical resonance in our system but he couldn't be for sure. But get this, not only do we have the harmonic issues, every time we lose something our power monitors on our MDP's throw an alarm saying voltage un-balance ether line-to-line or line-to-neutral and upwards to 30%. That gets me thinking power company again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.