Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my son, who is a project manager for a GC told me the EC & utility turned on the power today to his new building and discovered it is 240/120 hi-leg instead of 208/120.

This is a new stand alone building right out of the ground. Evidently there had been all of the engineering, planning, etc. done but still…….. I’d say someone didn’t review a submitted properly.

Evidently “they” are saying it’ll be at least a 60 day delay between new submittals, scheduling and whatever AND for whatever the reason the EC will have to run a new underground service to a different location on the property for a new transformer pad. This is all second hand info so I don’t have much more.

My question is why can‘t the utility just set a different transformer with a 208/120 secondary? Evidently the building’s main switchgear will not need to be changed.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,331 Posts
Transformers are bought for the job. Primary and secondary voltage, then KW or KVA.
You expect the POCO to have MILLIONS of dollars laying in the yard?

60 days seems reasonable to me. You do not provide a lot of information, Pole mounted, pad mounted, size, other environmental conditions.

That is a really big deal on the voltages. Some one mucked it up. Where I live you would have to provide special paper work to get a wild leg service
I am surprised that the line crew even turned it on. All the phase wires the same size would have been a dead giveaway.

I am not going to deal with the second service issue. BAD idea in my mind. A generator say 50% of the base load would be easier and cheaper. The change over alone would be a couple of days if you used shore power.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I’m not complaining or whatever & understand the utility may not happen to have a transformer just laying around. My question is why would they need to redo the underground and take it to a different spot.

Again, I don’t have all of the details and don’t have any skin in the game here, just trying to get a better understanding of utilities and transformers.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
5,008 Posts
Wouldn't want to dent their bank accounts by keeping some inventory, now would we?

What would happen if the new transformer **** the bed on startup? Or an existing one for another customer?

Reactions: 460 Delta

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,581 Posts
Yeah, I’m not complaining or whatever & understand the utility may not happen to have a transformer just laying around. My question is why would they need to redo the underground and take it to a different spot.

Again, I don’t have all of the details and don’t have any skin in the game here, just trying to get a better understanding of utilities and transformers.

High leg only requires 2 legs (wires) of 3 phase then they use a standard transformer and add a second smaller transformer.
3Y requires all 3 phases and a single transformer.

They could rent a 240 delta to 208Y isolation transformer until the site upgrade is done.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,581 Posts
Transformers are bought for the job. Primary and secondary voltage, then KW or KVA.

60 days seems reasonable to me. You do not provide a lot of information, Pole mounted, pad mounted, size, other environmental conditions.

That is a really big deal on the voltages. Some one mucked it up. Where I live you would have to provide special paper work to get a wild leg service
I am surprised that the line crew even turned it on. All the phase wires the same size would have been a dead giveaway.

I am not going to deal with the second service issue. BAD idea in my mind. A generator say 50% of the base load would be easier and cheaper. The change over alone would be a couple of days if you used shore power.

Must be different down south Florida.

Poco has a huge yard of spares and all the stuff to do a temporary setup (maybe hurricane stock). Unfortunately if you are miles from a 3rd phase there's not much they can do in the middle of the night no matter how much they wish to help you.

60 days to re-route a new 3 phase feeder underground to a building (sounds like they have to come from a different section of the grid) in poco terms would probably be a rush job considering all of the dig permits, etc.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
How much of this is due to a broken down supply chain , covid replacement employee's, and a big heaping serving of price raising inflation causing wrong equipment to be sent out ..

Reactions: kb1jb1

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,363 Posts
The utility where I am PSE&G has little to no pad mounted transformers in stock. They are not available. They have been using refurbished or previously used ones if necessary. Some jobs have been on hold for 8 months or more.
Someone mentioned EV charging stations above. How is that going to work out if you cannot get the switch gear or transformers to power the equipment?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Today my son, who is a project manager for a GC told me the EC & utility turned on the power today to his new building and discovered it is 240/120 hi-leg instead of 208/120.

This is a new stand alone building right out of the ground. Evidently there had been all of the engineering, planning, etc. done but still…….. I’d say someone didn’t review a submitted properly.

Evidently “they” are saying it’ll be at least a 60 day delay between new submittals, scheduling and whatever AND for whatever the reason the EC will have to run a new underground service to a different location on the property for a new transformer pad. This is all second hand info so I don’t have much more.

My question is why can‘t the utility just set a different transformer with a 208/120 secondary? Evidently the building’s main switchgear will not need to be changed.
Why can't they use a 3 phase delta in the building? You would lose 1/3 the panel but the higher voltage means less amperage. When I first started on my own I did a commercial three phase service for a replacement building without confirming all the details. Three pole mounted transformers to me meant three phase 208/120 volt WYE. Turns out the old distribution was a closed delta with all three transformers the same size. It was an old industrial area that was being transformed to offices. I just ran single phase feeders and panels for the lights and receptacles and kept the three phase for 240 volt loads .

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The utility where I am PSE&G has little to no pad mounted transformers in stock. They are not available. They have been using refurbished or previously used ones if necessary. Some jobs have been on hold for 8 months or more.
Someone mentioned EV charging stations above. How is that going to work out if you cannot get the switch gear or transformers to power the equipment?
A friend of mine has a sawmill, and the other day he told me that his POCO was going to be swapping out the 500 KVA transformer they have for a 300, because they need the 500 somewhere else. I assume it is because of shortages

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
A friend of mine has a sawmill, and the other day he told me that his POCO was going to be swapping out the 500 KVA transformer they have for a 300, because they need the 500 somewhere else. I assume it is because of shortages

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
That is exactly what the PSE&G guy said they were doing. Looking for a 500 that was not being used to the full or used on vacant buildings.

·
Can't Remember
11,145 Posts
I found a 6 year old socket new in the beat up box. That got approved. Waiting on precast concrete bases for the pedestals. Utility will set the new pole. We'll run all the underground up the pole and wait for a new pole mount transformer. They don't have a 75kva pot to hang up at the moment. No plans, just a load calc sheet for the utility and a permit.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts

If this was my charge... I'd aquire the proper transformers (Utility yards are seldom surveilled or guarded...) and a bucket truck and YEET their fo-pah right off the pole into the abyss... and make this right.

I GOT THIS - chit like this incompetance pisses me off to no end and so.,,
Just say the word and I got his back, for you.... brother.

Just do it. (C. Nike)

We got this.

• Haha
Reactions: Mbit

·
Registered
20,135 Posts
If this was my charge... I'd aquire the proper transformers (Utility yards are seldom surveilled or guarded...) and a bucket truck and YEET their fo-pah right off the pole into the abyss... and make this right.

I GOT THIS - chit like this incompetance pisses me off to no end and so.,,
Just say the word and I got his back, for you.... brother.

Just do it. (C. Nike)

We got this.
Most all of the work we encounter that the utility is making a big deal about we can do ourselves for a fraction of the time and cost. I tolerate it only due to the fact we are so busy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts