Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using for a 3-gang switch box when using MC as the wiring method?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
What are you guys using for a 3-gang switch box when using MC as the wiring method?

Thanks,
I'll usually use either a true 3 gang box (ususally special order), or deep cut in boxes that chain together.

If you only need two gang I will use and extension ring on a deep 4 x 4x 2.25, with correct mud ring.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I will buy new work version with side mount bracket and gang em. Can't remember if old works are cheaper but for some reason I usually end up ganging some of them with the new work. Probably having some in the truck to unload is why.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
19,544 Posts
I have used on of these:
http://www.grainger.com/product/RACO-Electrical-Masonry-Box-2DDA2

Kinda of a PITA if you don't get it just right but usually I
The depth takes up the the entire wall cavity due to the depth so on a regular stud and 1/2" drywall install, it's perfect.

Another choice is one of these with a three gang ring. This is what I normally use:
http://www.grainger.com/product/RACO-Electrical-Box-2DCX4?s_pp=false

With a three gang ring:
http://www.grainger.com/product/RACO-Plaster-Ring-Gang-Box-Cover-2DCZ1?s_pp=false

Just keep in mind that these are 3/4" deep rings.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
He asked about MC, this is probably commercial, who is gonna give a flying fu(k (other than the electrician)?
The customer.

Maybe we have a different type of customer than you, but if you are installing 3 switches, new work, in the same location, and you install a 2 gang and single gang right next to each other instead of a 3 gang, I would expect to hear some bitching about it. Deservedly so because that's hack.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
The customer.

Maybe we have a different type of customer than you,
Yes, we must have different customers. Not a single customer has ever cared about having multiple cover plates, it's the absolute last thing anyone would notice. I am talking about in hospitals, offices, data centers, etc.

Triple brackets, 1900 boxes, and 1 & 2 gang mud rings are on the job, ready to go. On the other hand, look at this thread as an example of how many different hack solutions people have had to come up with to do this installation with 1 cover plate. It's not worth it, especially if the supply house doesn't have the 3 gang mud ring or that type of box to fit it or whatever.

Just my experience.

·
Premium Member
19,544 Posts
Yes, we must have different customers. Not a single customer has ever cared about having multiple cover plates, it's the absolute last thing anyone would notice. I am talking about in hospitals, offices, data centers, etc.

Triple brackets, 1900 boxes, and 1 & 2 gang mud rings are on the job, ready to go. On the other hand, look at this thread as an example of how many different hack solutions people have had to come up with to do this installation with 1 cover plate. It's not worth it, especially if the supply house doesn't have the 3 gang mud ring or that type of box to fit it or whatever.

Just my experience.
I know that just using what's laying around is easy, and I very much see your point but, it's not for me. It just looks like poor planning or an after thought when I see three or four switches installed like that.
I do see why it's done like that, and it works just fine.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I know that just using what's laying around is easy, and I very much see your point but, it's not for me. It just looks like poor planning or an after thought when I see three or four switches installed like that.
I do see why it's done like that, and it works just fine.
You see it that way (I do too).

Customers don't.

In residential I try to avoid it. But when discussing it with the customer, such as adding another switch to an existing box, and giving the higher price, they almost always say "Who cares, just cut a new one in next to it".

1 - 20 of 41 Posts