Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I put these little cans in over my kitchen sink last year and just threw some halogen R20s in them. One of them burned out so now I have an excuse to get some fancy pants new LED bulbs to replace them. I really like the light placement and light level when I'm doing the dishes or whatever, so I'm just going to get some LED bulbs that are about the same lumens and color temperature.

I've got a couple more LED bulbs in some pendants over my peninsula and love them, so we'll see how these turn out. If I like them I have a few retrofit kits to pick up for my kid's room because his lights are on all the time.

Anyway I think I'm going to put some of these in. Philips Lighting 42613-0. Platt has them on sale right now for $22 each and if I go in and bat my eyelashes just right I can probably get them down to under $20.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyway so my new LED lights are gonna be cool.

·
Registered
99 Posts
City electric has the r20's for 19 bucks each here... dunno if you have a city there though.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,540 Posts

I put these little cans in over my kitchen sink last year and just threw some halogen R20s in them. One of them burned out so now I have an excuse to get some fancy pants new LED bulbs to replace them. I really like the light placement and light level when I'm doing the dishes or whatever, so I'm just going to get some LED bulbs that are about the same lumens and color temperature.

I've got a couple more LED bulbs in some pendants over my peninsula and love them, so we'll see how these turn out. If I like them I have a few retrofit kits to pick up for my kid's room because his lights are on all the time.

Anyway I think I'm going to put some of these in. Philips Lighting 42613-0. Platt has them on sale right now for $22 each and if I go in and bat my eyelashes just right I can probably get them down to under $20.

do you need that eyeball feature you have in those trims? If not, have you thought about the trim replacement with the solid bottom?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Most of my house has been changed over to LED's as well. It's gonna be a good day for Eric. I love getting new LED's too.......makes me feel all fuzzy inside:laughing:

Reactions: erics37

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I'm probably 90% LED now, excluding the fluoro tubes in the garage. It's awesome not changing lightbulbs all the time and the power savings has been substantial.

Also, LED's are great in soffits and outside, apparently bugs hate the IR light that comes off LED's, so they stay away. I've got nothing bad to say about LED's, unless for cheap ass junk LED's.. they suck. Philips is good stuff though.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you need that eyeball feature you have in those trims? If not, have you thought about the trim replacement with the solid bottom?
The ceiling is vaulted so yeah the eyeballs are kind of necessary so the light points straight down. I have a set of 6" cans in the kitchen ceiling as well, they're bright as hell but I don't use them very often. I've just got regular flat trims on those so they kind of aim weird.

I'm probably 90% LED now, excluding the fluoro tubes in the garage. It's awesome not changing lightbulbs all the time and the power savings has been substantial.

Also, LED's are great in soffits and outside, apparently bugs hate the IR light that comes off LED's, so they stay away. I've got nothing bad to say about LED's, unless for cheap ass junk LED's.. they suck. Philips is good stuff though.
I've always used Philips for anything important. I'm slowly getting my house switched to LED but that stuff is too expensive to just go redo everything all at once. For now I'm just switching the ones that are on all the time.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I've always used Philips for anything important. I'm slowly getting my house switched to LED but that stuff is too expensive to just go redo everything all at once. For now I'm just switching the ones that are on all the time.
I did the same.. slowly switching over, starting with the ones left on all the time. That's why I'm at 90% and will probably stay there.. some lights rarely/never get used.. no point putting in LED's.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See if you can keep your hand on one that's been operating for a few minutes. :whistling2:
Much cooler than a comparable incandescent or halogen. That's the point.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No kidding. :laughing: I was simply pointing out that LED's don't operate as cool as most people think.
I know your stance on LEDs is that they suck ass so you may have a prerogative to nitpick, but every electrician in this thread so far has expressed positive remarks about them where installed in their own homes. For what that's worth.

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
I did the same.. slowly switching over, starting with the ones left on all the time. That's why I'm at 90% and will probably stay there.. some lights rarely/never get used.. no point putting in LED's.
Slowly switching over - in other words, milking jobs for a few bulbs at a time.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I know your stance on LEDs is that they suck ass so you may have a prerogative to nitpick, but every electrician in this thread so far has expressed positive remarks about them where installed in their own homes. For what that's worth.
I suppose you have a point. :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts