Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Several guys here are, what is the question?

Reactions: ghostwriter

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
When they fail it is usually pretty dramatic so when used add them in a sperate enclosure.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was trying to get you details but im having trouble with pictures, upside down, backwards lol....

Request was for a SPD for this.. But now after reading that article im not sure how I feel.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Seems like reasonable suggestions, though I don't see how mounting an SPD externally is guaranteed to keep conductor lengths shortest.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I not sure what he is asking either but I suspect he wants to add a TVSS to this switchboard.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We put them in MCC's all the time around here. Although we use protective relays in higher current feeder breakers.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
Separate enclosure here too. I hate cleaning up the mess. Take the whole deal out and lectra clean it and turn the hose on it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I get consulting engineers specifying that they be mounted in Swgr and MCCs all the time. I hate that, because yes, they do blow up by sacrificing themselves if hit with too high of a surge, and yes, it is a mess. I have some nasty pics, but I'm at work and am blocked from my Photobucket site, I'll have to remember to upload them at home and post later.

They don't ooze goo like capacitors do when they blow, so just mounting a separate box on top of the gear is fine. If you put them inside the gear, you have to clean the char off of the front and it never looks the same again. That smell never goes away either, it freaks out people who don't know what caused it, they always think it's something new that just happened. There's one on an MCC that I see once a year or so. The TVSS blew about 10 years ago after a nearby lightning strike, I can still smell it when I open any door.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think it gets spec'd that way to ensure it gets installed as close to the bus as possible. It's to try and make it idiot-proof, to prevent some hack installing it on the opposite wall and making it effectively useless. Also because engineers have no idea about what a problem it can be when they fail like that.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
... It's to try and make it idiot-proof...
All you accomplish with that is creating better idiots.... But yes, I agree, but I still hate it.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
II can still smell it when I open any door.
We have a well site like that. Well guys put cheapy protectors in all the wellguard cans and they all went in a really bad thunder storm. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts