Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a home built in 1983, I want to add a pony panel at the back of the house. I'm a high voltage lineman so don't work in electrical panels very often, I would like an electricians comments.

The panel is a Sylvania BC 24125, the white neutral comes in the top of the panel with the bus going to the bottom of the panel to a connection plate. An insulated ground is then tied to the neutral with a connector, going back out the top of the panel to the water line as a ground.

Nowhere can I find the neutral and ground being tied together in the panel. Am I missing something, this looks weird as I know this should be tied together in the panel. The neutral bus at the bottom has a plate where the wires from the house come together and looks like it is isolated from the panel, could this have a wire connected to the panel that I can't see? Comments
John H

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I just moved into a home built in 1983, I want to add a pony panel at the back of the house. I'm a high voltage lineman so don't work in electrical panels very often, I would like an electricians comments.

The panel is a Sylvania BC 24125, the white neutral comes in the top of the panel with the bus going to the bottom of the panel to a connection plate. An insulated ground is then tied to the neutral with a connector, going back out the top of the panel to the water line as a ground.

Nowhere can I find the neutral and ground being tied together in the panel. Am I missing something, this looks weird as I know this should be tied together in the panel. The neutral bus at the bottom has a plate where the wires from the house come together and looks like it is isolated from the panel, could this have a wire connected to the panel that I can't see? Comments
John H

Please take a picture of the panel and post it .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
most panels have a bonding strip or jumper that ties them together
usually fastened at one of the locations on the neutral buss
if this it to be a main panel the buss needs to be bonded
if its used as a sub panel the bonding strip needs to be removed.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
that panel is factory configured as a sub panel by the looks of it
a bonding strip is not present. if one is required you may have to run a suitably sized conductor from the neutral bus to the ground bus.
but that depends on the code in your country

Reactions: nolabama

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The white sticker
"Where electrical inspection authorities requires the neutral assembly to be disconnected from the enclosure, remove the brass screw from the neutral assembly"

And all along I was looking for a buss bar or bonding bar to be connected to this. Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees or brass screw, that's why I asked. Now I can connect a pony panel with out worry
Thanks, love the whistling smiley for those of us that don't read.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

John H
Possibly, I am misunderstanding what you are describing, but if the connection at the bottom of the bus that you say is tied to the incoming NEUTRAL is then connected to the water pipe (If the pipe has sufficient contact with the earth), you should be okay.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The brass screw at the top just left of the 2 neutral lugs is the bonding screw. You are good. The sticker says to remove it if it is a sub panel. :thumbsup:
Sorry, hadn't refreshed my page in a while. I always show up late to the party.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
didnt see the screw until i got a close up pic.(too much night shift work and lack of sleep from noisy neighbors):laughing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.