Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
My last truck developed a lot of leaks soon after switching to synthetic. Not 100% sure it's related but will put it off in my new truck. If it was that much better as some say wouldn't you think all vehicles would just come with it by now?

·
Estwing magic
27,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My last truck developed a lot of leaks soon after switching to synthetic. Not 100% sure it's related but will put it off in my new truck. If it was that much better as some say wouldn't you think all vehicles would just come with it by now?
That's my concern. How many kilometers were on your truck when you switched?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
My car specs semi-synthetic and I change it every 7,500 miles. Even at 7,500 miles, the oil life indicator says it still has about 20% life left in it. I just switched to full synthetic and I'm at 68% oil life with 4,000 miles on it. Synthetic oil is amazing.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I always used synthetic in my used vehicles and had good results.. as in, oil lasted longer, easier starts in cold weather and no negative issues like leaks. But now that I have new vehicles and can't do the oil changes myself (warranty BAH!), I just stick to conventional because the stealerships want ridiculous prices for synthetic.

Once the vehicles come out of warranty, I will do synthetic again. And if you're going to spend the money on sythentic, get a reputable, high end brand.. apparently they're not all created equal.

·
Estwing magic
27,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always used synthetic in my used vehicles and had good results.. as in, oil lasted longer, easier starts in cold weather and no negative issues like leaks. But now that I have new vehicles and can't do the oil changes myself (warranty BAH!), I just stick to conventional because the stealerships want ridiculous prices for synthetic.

Once the vehicles come out of warranty, I will do synthetic again. And if you're going to spend the money on sythentic, get a reputable, high end brand.. apparently they're not all created equal.
I think the stealers are scamming you. We had this discussion on a motorcycle forum. If you keep your receipts for oil and filters, I believe you still have warranty. Besides that, it's not only dealers who can do scheduled maintenance. My last new vehicle, I took to my neighbourhood mechanic. He was warranty approved. I never visited the dealer once after I drove it off the lot.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yeah I'm sure when pressed my documentation would prove valid evidence of maintaining the warranty.. I just didn't want to have to go there in the event of a problem under warranty. But at this point, I'm about to stop going to the stealership. I don't even care so much about the cost (probably $80-90 per regular service).. it's the inconvenience. They make you drop it off at a time and it takes them like 2-3 hours to do the work. F-THAT! It's not convenient for work or for life.

I've always preferred doing my own regular maintenance on vehicles.. thats the only part of new vehicles that I hate. It's a big frickin waste of time for "servicing."

The funnier thing is our minivan is a 2012 Grand Caravan with the 3.8L Pentastar (6spd) and my truck is a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 3.8L Pentastar (8spd)... my truck has oil change intervals of something like 1 year or 16,000km and our van has oil change intervals of 6months or 8,000km. SAME DAMN ENGINE!!!! They're just taking advantage of soccer moms. The van has scheduled maintenance every 6 months and my truck is every 2 years. :roll eyes:

/endrant

I love both vehicles.. they're awesome, work perfect, and were priced right for new.. but servicing is a different beast.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I saw a news story last year where GM voided warranty on a guys truck because he did the oil changes himself at home.....he was a certified mechanic and kept a journal of all work but because it was done under the wrong roof they voided it, so lame.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I use Mobil 1 with zero issues.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
The shop manual for my car calls for regular oil and a change every 10,000 miles in light-to-normal driving conditions. Mine is almost exclusively highway cruise-control, so I sleep fine.

I used to buy into the 3000 mile myth, but then you realize that's for taxi-cab and cop-car duty in dusty environments, it's not what's needed for most cars, but it sure makes Jiffy-Lube happy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I always run full synthetic in our vehicles. I used to use Royal Purple until the price skyrocketed. Then I moved back to Mobil 1 and Wix oil filters. I'm pleased with my results.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.