Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went food shopping in a new build and of course the first thing I looked at was the lighting..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They has rows of T-8 96" 2/lamp fixtures.. :blink::blink:

I always thought the 48" T-8 was the best way to go for general store lighting...

I just priced a 8' lamp.. $15.99.. :eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
There is a guy here who specializes in supermarkets. I'm sure he will be able to answer your question.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I think anyone that specs 8' T8 lamps for any application should be beat bloody and tossed to wolves.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think anyone that specs 8' T8 lamps for any application should be beat bloody and tossed to wolves.
This is what I thought.. 4' tandem fixtures is the norm.....

Yesterday I was in Office Max and they had the same dumb design.. but it was that way since the store opened..

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Right now in retail we are installing mostly 4' T8, some T5, a lot of 39 watt metal halide and of course more and more LED.

8' lamps suck to store, transport, install etc

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
BBQ.. what about LED 4' T-8??
We have used them in a project that required 100% LED lighting. They were a fast option for some of the fixture types but I was not impressed with them.

For the past months I have been installing LED strips in place of T8s but these have an aluminum body with a lens on one side only. The T8 sockets get removed, the ballast swapped with a driver and the new strip hardwired to the driver.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Who can be trusted

We have used them in a project that required 100% LED lighting. They were a fast option for some of the fixture types but I was not impressed with them.

For the past months I have been installing LED strips in place of T8s but these have an aluminum body with a lens on one side only. The T8 sockets get removed, the ballast swapped with a driver and the new strip hardwired to the driver.
Mr. BBQ,
Which brand are you buying the retro fit kits from. We have two lighting reps working on it for us, they are taking forever.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A picture would be nice.. then I could go to a local store and see how they did it wrong.. :whistling2::laughing:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Do they have someone clearing the shelves before you start the install;;??

I can see working around items on a shelf a real PIA..
Truthfully the biggest pain in the butt is coordinating that with the store. I need them to strip all the product from the shelves and I need to make sure they do enough to keep us busy for an 8 hour shift but I can't ask for too much or we won't get to it and they would have to restock the shelves and strip again the next night.

I try to shoot for about 25 new fixtures per person, per shift.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Truthfully the biggest pain in the butt is coordinating that with the store. I need them to strip all the product from the shelves and I need to make sure they do enough to keep us busy for an 8 hour shift but I can't ask for too much or we won't get to it and they would have to restock the shelves and strip again the next night.

I try to shoot for about 25 new fixtures per person, per shift.
Ladder or scisor lift?

·
Super Moderator
22,023 Posts
I thought all the 8' fixtures were basically two 4' units put together at the factory. I don't believe my supplier even sells the 8' units unless they have the 4' tubes.

I did a laundromat with retro LEDs. They had 4 tube trouffers and we installed 2- 4' LEDs and it had about the same amount of light. Had to get permission from the ahj to retro the units since it changed the listing.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought all the 8' fixtures were basically two 4' units put together at the factory. I don't believe my supplier even sells the 8' units unless they have the 4' tubes.

I did a laundromat with retro LEDs. They had 4 tube trouffers and we installed 2- 4' LEDs and it had about the same amount of light. Had to get permission from the ahj to retro the units since it changed the listing.
These were all T-8 2/96" pans...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts