Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was never a fan of regular T-handles. I have a set of hex socket adapters for a 3/8" ratchet handle. Mine aren't, but they're available as impact-rated. My next set will be one of those.
Agreed, I picked up a set of Proto long shafted Hex a year or so back, and havent regretted it. Super handy when you can throw them on a torque wrench to tighten down lugs and whatnot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
RyeGuyCarby said:
Agreed, I picked up a set of Proto long shafted Hex a year or so back, and havent regretted it. Super handy when you can throw them on a torque wrench to tighten down lugs and whatnot.
Long shafted is essential in transfer switches or distribution panels with "stacked" lugs. Maybe my next set will be long, impact rated hex sockets.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Unless you're torquing the lug afterwards it is a horrible idea to use an impact for tightening down lugs. Personally I'd never do it or allow it, I bet the majority of new installs are over torqued without the help of an impact

·
Registered
21 Posts
The idea of backing off feeder lugs live scares the hell out of me, I've see too many easily avoided mistakes. The only situation I can see for justifying thouse would be working on a disconnected terminal near live equipment...but that seems like a very specific task, one your employer should provide the equipment for in that situation.

Even then, there is almost no reason to work on live equipment

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
360max said:
why spend that kind of money on insulated ones when live work is basically prohibited?
Because people do live work every day regardless of how fervid you are on the subject. If they're gonna do it they might as well have the tools for it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I am thinking of getting the cementex 1000V insualted ones, they are a bit pricey though.
they're nice but the take up a lot of room in the tool bags

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.