Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
IBEW first year apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you use tabs for the NEC? I'm a first year apprentice and I've just tabbed mine today. I believe it will be a big help.
Font Publication Book Display device Technology

·
Registered
22 Posts
No tabs! And I try to encourage my apprentices to not use them as well. I think you can get really quick using the index. Also, my opinion is that you learn the layout of the code book better without them. Lastly, I’ve heard some states don’t allow them for the test, so if you’ve become used to that it could really add some stress while taking the test.

·
Registered
Low Voltage, Multi-Family Residential Electrical Construction, Fire Alarm and Life Safety
128 Posts
I like the tabs and I've used them in the past. The tabs are good because they save you time and mental energy during the test. The tabs also help you learn the structure of the book. You'll find that if you've studied in a tabbed book long enough, you'll be able to quickly find anything in a new book. It's like you'll imagine that the tabs are there even though they aren't.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,638 Posts
When I took my test ions ago I had the Tom Henry tabbed code book and it was allowed. But what was the very most help was the "Keyword Index". It was designed to be separated and placed into the ring binder code book.
Tom Henry had many helpful pages that could be inserted into the code book. It came pre-tabbed with yellow highlights for journeyman and orange highlights for master.
Without this help I am not certain I would have passed. Back then it was an 8 hour ordeal to test. Today its 4 hours and all computerized.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,865 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the tabs. Big time saver.No books are allowed here at all for test so it doesn't matter. But they were a huge help when studying and looking stuff up in the field

1 - 10 of 10 Posts