Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running multiple circuits through a conduit, how do you identify each and keep them with their respective neutrals? Do you normally use different color for separate ungrounded conductors? Use tagging tape? Just wondering if there's a common or required practice to keeping track of your circuits from junction to junction. Aside from a few cafes I've never done commercial electrical work. I like to keep all circuits well identified and labeled throughout system but still trying to find an accepted and uniform way to do this.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
When running multiple circuits through a conduit, how do you identify each and keep them with their respective neutrals? Do you normally use different color for separate ungrounded conductors? Use tagging tape? Just wondering if there's a common or required practice to keeping track of your circuits from junction to junction. Aside from a few cafes I've never done commercial electrical work. I like to keep all circuits well identified and labeled throughout system but still trying to find an accepted and uniform way to do this.
If you work for a proper company you will use colored wire and number the wires. There is a number schedule to follow, it least in so cal.

·
Electron Herder
314 Posts
I tape the neutral with the boat, using a different color phase tape for each panel. Circuit number and panel name is either written in sharpie and use a number booklet on makeup, or number booklet pre-wire pull to the can (I only install numbers on the panel side after makeup).

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
I just bond all the neutrals to the junction box wherever they go through. One big blue wire nut and a ground pigtail. The electrons will find their way back one way or the other.
You're kidding, right? :eek:

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
boats? motorcycles? Where have I been?

I think I used to throw (cut) a little notch or two or three on the wire. Crap that would be in '69 or '70 and to be truthful I'm not sure what I did yesterday.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you have 6 sets in a conduit, you can tape the sets together. In canada we use red black blue, so I'll put tape around red, black, blue and a white and label it 1. Do the same again and label the next set 2 and so forth. So I'll have 6 Sets, each set is labelled in the panel and JB.

Once everything is pulled you can label everything then if you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.