Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the county masters about a year ago. Failed by 13 questions. I was told it is better and easier to take the state contractors exam.

I go tomorrow to do this. Bought over 200$ of books. I am as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I have spent time watching videos on YouTube in areas I am not familiar with.

I am not one to study. I am doing this because my company has a lot of customers and my boss won't be around forever.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Good luck but I doubt your preparation for this exam is suffice. You need to really get in there and study hard, and for many hours to earn an electrical license.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I took the county masters about a year ago. Failed by 13 questions. I was told it is better and easier to take the state contractors exam.

I go tomorrow to do this. Bought over 200$ of books. I am as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I have spent time watching videos on YouTube in areas I am not familiar with.

I am not one to study. I am doing this because my company has a lot of customers and my boss won't be around forever.

Good luck and do not worry,you'll be fine.:thumbsup:

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would highly recommend a prep course. I wouldn't have passed without it.
Are you sure?

I absorb information from hands on. I have learned how to navigate the NEC.

Tomorrow evening I will post my outcome in this thread.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
aftershockews said:
It's an open book test. That price was the books to use during the test.
. That fact alone , doesn't actually make it easy , lol ! I found it easier than I thought , but I did study my ass off and took a prep course . I knew way too many guys who I thought were more code savvy than myself , fail the first time . I wanted to make sure that didn't happen to me ! Good luck , relax and the index and table of contents are your best tools navigating the NEC .

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Yes, the course is designed to get you to pass, the CA course asked all sorts of questions about stuff I never use, ampacity of AL conductors or USE cable which I have never used. There were a lot of things that the only time I ever used was to pass that test and if I ever need it again, I will look it up.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I think Florida and North Carolina are the hardest ones out there.
You cant go in without a prep course there.
NC is open book, but you can't take your own. They provide you with a clean unmarked book and 1 piece of scratch paper which must be turned in at the end of the test.

I sat for my unlimited the first time and failed by 7 points.
Sat for my intermediate and only missed 7 or 8.

So went from a 68 to a 92

I wouldnt have passed without the prep course and studying.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I passed my NH J-mans test on 4 hours of sleep and a vicious hangover, but had studied for a month prior about every night. Good luck dude. :thumbup:

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am gonna pass! <----famous last words.:laughing:

I will know tomorrow if I pass or fail.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts