Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 code.

The service outlet for a furnace unit installed in an attic space. Required to be tamper resistant?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
same reason for the porch recept. the friggin neighbor kid. up in the attic seems to be out of the purpose. if you need a ladder to get up there and you stick a knife into the hot female end, you deserve to die or you want to.:wallbash:

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a final inspection Tuesday. The guy installed non tamper resistant receptacles in a walk in attic at the furnace units. He said it wouldn't be a big deal, I am thinking :no:.

I would rather just TR everything and not worry about it.

It was just hard to see if it was required per 210.52. I seems to have a hard time following or finding.

I will just get to the job early and change them out.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
It's not a violation to install TR receps where they're not required.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a violation to install TR receps where they're not required.
Wait,, come back. My question was, "Are they required to be TR when installed in an attic as the service outlet for the equipment?"

Not exactly wording it right but you get the gist.

I looked in 210.52 and, well, still confused.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Wait,, come back. My question was, "Are they required to be TR when installed in an attic as the service outlet for the equipment?"

Not exactly wording it right but you get the gist.

I looked in 210.52 and, well, still confused.
If the receptacle is required by 210.52, then it's required by 406.12 to be TR. I don't see anything about attics or service receps in 210.52. The requirement for the receptacle in question is in 210.63, which is outside the scope of 406.12.

But installing a TR there is not a violation.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the receptacle is required by 210.52, then it's required by 406.12 to be TR. I don't see anything about attics or service receps in 210.52. The requirement for the receptacle in question is in 210.63, which is outside the scope of 406.12.

But installing a TR there is not a violation.
I saw this
210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section
provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section
shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
Was thinking a furnace might be considered as such.

Thanks for the reply.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
I saw this

Was thinking a furnace might be considered as such.

Thanks for the reply.
I would never consider a furnace to be an appliance. I would think that the code you quoted refers to factory-built receps, such as in a baseboard heater.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would never consider a furnace to be an appliance. I would think that the code you quoted refers to factory-built receps, such as in a baseboard heater.
Understood. I just happen to run into alot of "I think" from AHJ's when it comes to code. So it always has me wondering.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Understood. I just happen to run into alot of "I think" from AHJ's when it comes to code. So it always has me wondering.
Well, if the AHJ 'thinks' a furnace is appliance, then it's up to them to provide a Code reference backing it up.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if the AHJ 'thinks' a furnace is appliance, then it's up to them to provide a Code reference backing it up.
Thanks for the input. I will see what the state inspector says when I meet him.
I hope it goes OK, I am tired of driving 23 miles and want this job done.

:thumbsup:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Am I the only one that stopped carrying non TR receptacles all we carry is TR or TR WR?
No, we only carry TR and WR/TR for residential.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
haven't stocked anything else since the code started requiring them
Ditto. I don't bother stocking any resi grade stuff in non-TR. I have ivory and brown spec grade in TR and non (have some high end clients that we put spec grade in everywhere). We still have a few boxes of non-TR resi grade brown and ivory receptacles left, but now all anyone seems to want is white, so the chances of using those up is pretty slim. I am planning on piping the shop and adding a bunch of receptacles and whatnot so I will probably burn them up there.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Ditto. I don't bother stocking any resi grade stuff in non-TR. I have ivory and brown spec grade in TR and non (have some high end clients that we put spec grade in everywhere). We still have a few boxes of non-TR resi grade brown and ivory receptacles left, but now all anyone seems to want is white, so the chances of using those up is pretty slim. I am planning on piping the shop and adding a bunch of receptacles and whatnot so I will probably burn them up there.
use em in the crawl space or attic with pull down stairs

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i will still replace the ones in my house with non tr. and i have two kids. survival of the fittest. i taught my kids respect for electricity. kids are smarter than the nec thinks. why else would it take so long to adopt the new one. kids rock..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts