Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Square D offers many routes for electrical contractors to get assistance with product questions, pricing, availability, order status, etc. We want to know from you. . . what are your preferred ways to get support from Square D. Do you like dialing a 1-800 #? online chat? email? apps? forums like these? Or do you have any other suggestions that you would like to have available for support?

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,189 Posts
As a cowboy I always like my information right from the horse’s mouth. So 1-800# is my preferred method.

If info is on a web site make it easy to find and up to date. I HATE going to a site with broken links or pages they are not in the correct area.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I want to be able to google a part number and obtain the manufacturer's data sheet/ specifications quickly. If I can't get it direct from google, I want to be able to get it from the manufacturer's website. When we get instant access to the information we need, we are more readily able to specify these products in a design. Transformers, contactors and panel boards are some product lines that come to mind where the information is not as accessible as it could be.

And a good parametric search is priceless.
Transformer for example:
Input voltage
Output voltage
kW
Transformer Type
It seems whenever we are looking to spec something we have to root through endless non-applicable products.

Thank you for asking.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,651 Posts
Square D offers many routes for electrical contractors to get assistance with product questions, pricing, availability, order status, etc. We want to know from you. . . what are your preferred ways to get support from Square D. Do you like dialing a 1-800 #? online chat? email? apps? forums like these? Or do you have any other suggestions that you would like to have available for support?
Given you all have the automated attendant ... maybe a "press 9 if you know your chit, and need to talk to someone who knows his/her chit too" button would be awesome :jester:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
An app would be great where you could bring up spec sheets on equipment. It would be nice to punch in a part number or go through menus based on categories and pick the item you want, and see dimensions, KO locations, etc.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
having an 800 support number for last resort is nice, but I like to be able to go right to the info I need on a website first, and without being hampered by having to log in and create an account and any other BS.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
I would have a separate site for resi/commercial and the rest of the Schneider crap. I don't know if you have ever been to your website but it is a freaking joke, but don't feel bad as Siemens isn't any better.
Make it easy to find the directory templates for every panel. Make it easy to find the info normal people want.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,442 Posts
The telephone tech support has been very good. Whatever you do, keep those people who know, understand, and can clearly explain your product line. If it helps you out, I don't pay for long distance any more, I don't care if it's a toll free number.

I have had mixed results navigating your site for documentation etc. Sometimes it's better to just use google, but sometimes you just can't get what you need. I'd look at other technology companies (not necessarily electrical) and see how the best do it, and copy them. You need a good librarian there :)

Online chat is for people sitting at desks. Not great for electrical products.

Email tech support? Good way to make sure I look for another brand. At best it strings out a five minute conversation into an all day affair, more often it just delays things so much I might as well not have support.

I haven't really been a fan of apps from manufacturers, I don't want to have to install an app and grant permissions for everyone whose products I use. I'd rather see you make your web site responsive so it works well with phones.

·
Bilge Rat
7,015 Posts
having an 800 support number for last resort is nice, but I like to be able to go right to the info I need on a website first, and without being hampered by having to log in and create an account and any other BS.
Same here, especially the last part.

Oh, how I despise having to create an account in order to use a site.

Further, the website needs to up to date and completely accurate.

My luck with tech support runs about 50-50. Some companies have knowledgeable techs, a lot have a basic kid looking up my questions not knowing ANYTHING about the actual product.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,442 Posts
...website first, and without being hampered by having to log in and create an account and any other BS.
Same here, especially the last part. Oh, how I despise having to create an account in order to use a site.
That is a biggie. Don't bug me creating an account. I'm already in a rush and now you want to know how many people are in my organization? And my email. I just put in [email protected] or [email protected] or something. If forced to use a real address, I use a throwaway gmail account that I never check.

I have never read anyone's newsletter.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I would have a separate site for resi/commercial and the rest of the Schneider crap. I don't know if you have ever been to your website but it is a freaking joke, but don't feel bad as Siemens isn't any better.
Make it easy to find the directory templates for every panel. Make it easy to find the info normal people want.
God yes. Please setup a stand alone Square D website so I don't have to wade through all that Euro Schneider garbage to get to what I need.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
On the odd occasion that I need tech support, I want a 1-800 number where I don't listen to bad music for half an hour before I talk to someone who knows less than me.

I'll give you an example of good tech support: I phoned the Lutron technical line once. I spoke to a guy right away who knew what he was talking about . He stayed on the line until we got it figured out. That kind of service builds brand loyalty.

·
Super Moderator
16,346 Posts
Having knowledgeable CSR's is what I would like too see more of.
In most cases the customer knows more about the product than the CSR.
Do you train your CSR's?
What kind of training do they receive before you put them in contact with customers?

In this highly competitive market, having smart knowledgeable sales people and CRS's are what separates the good companies from the not so good companies.

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for your candid feedback. I have shared it with our web and customer care teams. As we prepare for 2017, we are planning to improve our Square D presence on http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/ and provide better and more product info (SKUs, specs, etc) on the web. Additionally, if you join our Partner Portal www.schneider-electric.us/contractors-register you will gain direct access to Level 2 technical support via phone, online chat, or web form. Thank you again!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts