Electrician Talk banner

Teck cable ran on a fence

CEC 
10K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  wiz1997 
#1 ·
CEC 12-602 / 12-902 I’m an industrial electrician, but in a commercial setting in a car dealership an owner was asking how much it would cost to run Teck cable around his chain link fence (270 feet) to throw in a 30 amp plug or install a 60 amp sub panel. I of course told him he will be cutting concrete and going underground as I’m doubtful directional drilling is cheap for the 20 feet of concrete.
Is running Teck on a fence through conduit meet the cec requirements even though you need to free air the cable for a bit for rule 12-902(2)ii

#2 ·
Zen: Ask the fence if it is going to be ok.

My experience: Fence along a canal to keep people from falling in, not too bad, ran rigid conduit on that before and it's still there after thirty years. Still working.

Fence along parking lot- In under four years enough cars backed into the fence to cause the threads to get pulled out of the couplings in a couple of places and the wires got exposed. They were only RG-11 coax so no shock hazard , but it was a bad idea to run along the fence instead of trench and bury. (Customer wanted cheap route).

#4 ·
CEC 12-602 / 12-902 I’m an industrial electrician, but in a commercial setting in a car dealership an owner was asking how much it would cost to run Teck cable around his chain link fence (270 feet) to throw in a 30 amp plug or install a 60 amp sub panel. I of course told him he will be cutting concrete and going underground as I’m doubtful directional drilling is cheap for the 20 feet of concrete.
Is running Teck on a fence through conduit meet the cec requirements even though you need to free air the cable for a bit for rule 12-902(2)ii
Why run it in conduit?

#5 ·
Well the fence post are 8’ apart so above the 2 meter strapping requirements. So since there is nothing on the outside of the fence to damage the cable, I could run it out there since no vehicles have access to it. I would just use treated wood strap the cable and give the lease holder the cheapest option if I could. But there just doesn’t seem to be any clear rule on strapping Teck cable to fencing. It just mentions portions of buildings.
I have emailed the safety department also but I have heard nothing back yet.
But from working in my sawmill days. We strapped Teck cable everywhere Used trays where we could, and never had any issues other than replacing older installations that forklift operators crushed.

#7 ·
If the fence is 2m+ you would only need mechanical protection to get you to the 2m mark and back down again. 12-604.

Tie to the top rail of the fence?

Just throwing out ideas if the fence is high enough. 4m of cable is way cheaper than 270feet of protection.

#12 ·
Yes there should be more clarity on what is considered a permanent structure. My guess is it is continuous concrete. But every time that I ask for clarity through email I get told to call. So to me there need to be a bit more to the safety authorities per region clarifying what qualifies as a permanent structure. Since most structures in regions under 1000 square feet don’t even need a building permit. Essentially it seems to be up to the inspector what he/ she deems permanent from what I have experienced. It’s just a tough battle sometimes between losing the work cause the property owner will just find some handyman to just hook up the panel / plug because the cost becomes to high to adhere to the code.

#14 ·
Josh, it would help to fill out your profile.

In Ontario, a building (such as a shed) doesn't need a building permit if it's under 108 square feet...

Just because a building doesn't have continuous concrete foundation doesn't mean it isn't a permanent structure. My dad is getting plans for an addition that we are using sono tubes for... it it was not a permanent structure we wouldn't require electrical in it...
@emtnut I was just talking about this with the neighbors... they jack houses up and move them all the time!

I've seen teck cable attached to things other than houses all the time... such as a fence, or a deck, or a dock...

#16 ·
I think it's probably an interpretation thing. Some municipalities consider them permanent....

https://qcode.us/codes/stockton/view.php?topic=16-3-16_48-16_48_100&frames=on

https://www.hermantownmn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/ZONING_CHAPTER_17_FENCES_2011-11-18.pdf

1705.01.1.4. “Permanent fence” means any fence, other than a temporary fence as defined
herein.
1705.01.1.5. “Residential fence” means a chain link, wood picket fence, wood post and rail,
brick, masonry, stone, hedge fence, and similar materials of a permanent nature, such as wrought

Reactions: Kevin
#33 · (Edited)
A strong fence is a rarity in our time.. They are usually placed in the backyard, for example, for convenience or to prevent children from sneaking up and getting into someone else's territory. I don't trust people very much, and I really wanted to put up a good strong fence after my house was robbed. This fence was not designed for any protection, it was easy to climb over it and enter through the kitchen entrance. I made an order for https://www.walshlandscaping.co.uk/services/fencing-contractors-maidenhead-ascot/, where really put a reliable and stable fence. I no longer worry about thieves breaking into my home, and now my security has increased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.