Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I took my local 701 exam last November, scored a 8 out of 9 and now I have my interview on Friday the 13th :devil:. I'm not sweating the interview since I've read through all those posts however I have a basic question which I should of asked a while back:

What's exactly is in the realm of a Telecommunications Electrician?

I'm in IT now and work with Nortel PBX's, dmarc's, network equip, IP based phone systems, etc, etc. I want to get deeper into hands-on rather than what's in the general office environment... For instance setting up new gear at the netpop, pulling ethernet, config'ing switch gear with phone companys, etc.

If you could let me know that would be great. I want to be 100% sure this is the route I should take.

Thank you very much.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
It seems like your thought on the work is accurate, I would find myself bored to death with that type of thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I notice there isn't very much discussion on here in regards to telcom. Is there a different board like this where telcom people discuss topics? Looking for more feedback... :thumbup:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I notice there isn't very much discussion on here in regards to telcom. Is there a different board like this where telcom people discuss topics? Looking for more feedback... :thumbup:
Here is one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe you can leave off the www. and the .com? Put some spaces in? Tell me what to google for? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Telecom work, GENERALLY speaking involves the pulling, termination and testing of low voltage cabling. The raceway will be provided for you and you will be responsible for filling it. There are a lot of different aspects to the trade, Fire alarms, security, CCTV, A/V, and of course tele/data. Your background was in tele data on the user end which you have a grasp of. This will help. But I wouldn't reccomend pigeonholing yourself into it. There are a lot of other things to do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts