Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Ditch Digging Dummy
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thus was my apprentices job. I told him to go downstairs and install the sub panel. The only instructions I gave him was make it look nice.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
are some of those switches in nthe down position when theyre on?:whistling2:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It looks fine.

You probably could've done that job in half the time and it still would work just as good as it does like that. Electricity doesnt work any better when everything is nice and square, than it does when you just go from point A to point B. And as an employee, I learned this kinda stuff never got me raises. Slapping up a bunch of 2x4's as fast as possible, or slinging a ton of MC on the other hand did....

Just something to think about. Looks good though.

·
Ditch Digging Dummy
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks fine.

You probably could've done that job in half the time and it still would work just as good as it does like that. Electricity doesnt work any better when everything is nice and square, than it does when you just go from point A to point B. And as an employee, I learned this kinda stuff never got me raises. Slapping up a bunch of 2x4's as fast as possible, or slinging a ton of MC on the other hand did....

Just something to think about. Looks good though.
Although this is true, I prefer to have one of my guys spend a little extra time and make it look nice. My main point I was trying to make with this was that I was very proud of my guy. He had been with me for less than 7 months and I have been very happy with his work. He shows up every morning ready to work. Never complains about having to do the crap jobs. I wish everyone had someone like him. I hope he stays for a long long time

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Although this is true, I prefer to have one of my guys spend a little extra time and make it look nice. My main point I was trying to make with this was that I was very proud of my guy. He had been with me for less than 7 months and I have been very happy with his work. He shows up every morning ready to work. Never complains about having to do the crap jobs. I wish everyone had someone like him. I hope he stays for a long long time
Pay and treat him well and he will. Let him know you appreciate how hard he works and I'm sure he'll be around for a long time. Good help is damn hard to find.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,666 Posts
Where? It's not required on pvc here
If the wire is 4 or larger a bushing is required.. 300.4(G)

(G) Insulated Fittings. Where raceways contain 4 AWG
or larger insulated circuit conductors, and these conductors
enter a cabinet, a box, an enclosure, or a raceway, the conductors
shall be protected by an identified fitting providing
a smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors
are separated from the fitting or raceway by identified
insulating material that is securely fastened in place.
Exception: Where threaded hubs or bosses that are an
integral part of a cabinet, box, enclosure, or raceway provide
a smoothly rounded or flared entry for conductors.
Conduit bushings constructed wholly of insulating material
shall not be used to secure a fitting or raceway. The
insulating fitting or insulating material shall have a temperature
rating not less than the insulation temperature rating
of the installed conductors

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well Im glad you've got some good help.

I look at things differently than some, most of the time just the bottom dollar, but I can appreciate good help.

If I had an employee do a nice job like that, Id probably just smile with a stupid grin and tell him he did fine, and then maybe a week later Id break his bubble and ask him if he could do it a little faster next time. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Did he use deox on the alum?
Looks ok to me, and no one complains about neat. But making a mess out of it on the other hand. Job done by a pro should look like it was done by a pro.
Is get him that coffee for sure

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
If I had an employee do a nice job like that, Id probably just smile with a stupid grin and tell him he did fine, and then maybe a week later Id break his bubble and ask him if he could do it a little faster next time. :laughing:
I see where you're coming from but I'm sure if he had the chance to practice and perfect his method he'd be able to turn out a very similar product in a very short amount of time.

·
Ditch Digging Dummy
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did he use deox on the alum?
Looks ok to me, and no one complains about neat. But making a mess out of it on the other hand. Job done by a pro should look like it was done by a pro.
Is get him that coffee for sure
Yes I made sure of that when I looked it over

1 - 20 of 63 Posts