Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My customer wants a meter main pedestal with some 20amp receptacles for for use during the early construction stages of a new house. Once the frame, roofing and siding are finished he wants to complete the underground load from meter pedestal to house. We used to do this back in the day but now the ruling is such that the main disconnect has to be located on or immediately upon entering the structure. Is there any way to use service equipment as both temp and permanent? He wants to avoid spending $1200 for a temp power pedestal that he will never use again/.

·
Estwing magic
26,748 Posts
Around here we are allowed to mount the meter temporarily on a pressure treated 2 X 10 and then feed the panel (which is usually in the basement) as long as the panel is protected from the elements (which might require a box built around it).

This is only a suggestion, however, since it's a long ways between Cape Cod and Perky Nipples. Things might be different where you're from :) .

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
tell him to build the post where the temp is into the wall, then it will be permanent. otherwise, fork out he money for a temp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Of course there's no house, You told me he wants to set a meter main to provide power while he's building the house. So set the meter main on a unistrut frame in the yard, wire some gfci receptacles in bell boxes on the unistrut frame (or use a mobile home meter pedestal), build the house, then set a 200 amp breaker in the meter main, wire underground to the house where you then set the main breaker loadcenter as I described earlier. As far as code goes you have the service at the meter main in the yard and a feeder running to the main breaker loadcenter in the house (look at Article 225 in the NEC), savy?

·
Registered
428 Posts
You guys don't use temporaries out here?
We have probally 10 built temporaries built on small stands that we move around for situations like this. They have a meter , panel and probally 6 20a gfi outlets. The poco hooks them up for us.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
My customer wants a meter main pedestal with some 20amp receptacles for for use during the early construction stages of a new house. Once the frame, roofing and siding are finished he wants to complete the underground load from meter pedestal to house. We used to do this back in the day but now the ruling is such that the main disconnect has to be located on or immediately upon entering the structure. Is there any way to use service equipment as both temp and permanent? He wants to avoid spending $1200 for a temp power pedestal that he will never use again/.
We use old service equipment mounted on a 2x10 by 8' long as temps.

We lag them to the serving pole, bang in a few Grods, and let that run a job

I've tried every 'oh please save me a dime' temp to permanent scenario, many on million $$$ mansions...:rolleyes:

they can't suck enough, always a logistic complication that'll eat up that $1200 in a hurry

~CS~

·
Registered
38 Posts
We use Milbank temp boxes. It comes with breakers and GFIs installed. Box, pole, g-rod, and 4bare for around $200 total.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I found a pretty good soloution. When the builder is ready to install trench to the house I can remove the w.p. panel and receptacles, add the load side underground conduit new 200a mcb main panel inside house . In the meantime the jobsite has available power and no money wasted on a temp pedestal.

You guys are probably going to bust my b*lls on this thread, then do this same idea for your own builders. :laughing: Just send the royalty checks, praise, and/or credit my way and that should be thanks enough

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I think I found a pretty good soloution. When the builder is ready to install trench to the house I can remove the w.p. panel and receptacles, add the load side underground conduit new 200a mcb main panel inside house . In the meantime the jobsite has available power and no money wasted on a temp pedestal.

You guys are probably going to bust my b*lls on this thread, then do this same idea for your own builders. :laughing: Just send the royalty checks, praise, and/or credit my way and that should be thanks enough
Looks ok to me except for one thing; keeping in mind you are in the US, not sure about your codes, but here in Canada weatherproof receptacles used outdoors must be protected from the weather when in use. You can buy many different styles at various costs. In the picture it looks like you have one, but it is not being used properly! ;)

Maybe my old eyes deceive me, if so my apologies. :)

Also, I wanted to add a comment regarding clients not wanting to spend money on electrical safety, yet they are building a $300,000.00 home. I see it often with hot tubs, cheap SOBs. :laughing:

Thanks, Borgi

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
here in Canada weatherproof receptacles used outdoors must be protected from the weather when in use. In the picture it looks like you have one, but it is not being used properly! ;)
That's the way they are used. Like leading a horse to water type thing.

I've a couple in a condo complex. They just pull hard on the cover to unlatch it, plug in and it wouldn't even cross their minds to close it.

Instant umbrella.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts