Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Not bad, but two comments:

1: I would have put the fuses ahead of your temp meter, not on the load side. (In case in the rare event the meter faults on you...very rare, I've seen it happen once over many years.)

2: You have tied your neutrals and ground together going into the GFCI, creating a parallel path in your temp leads. I would change that to tying the GFCI grounds to the ground lead on your pigtail, and attaching (bonding) ONLY the grounding lead to the temp meter can. Keep the neutral completely isolated in your temp meter can.

A Form 2S meter (the standard residential meter) does NOT require a neutral connection of any kind (except when specially connected for 120v only use) so you could use the bonded neutral block in your temp can for your grounding conductors.

Since I see the 5th jaw in both meter cans, are 5th jaw meters (I forget the form number at the moment) common in your area?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mxslick said:
Not bad, but two comments:

1: I would have put the fuses ahead of your temp meter, not on the load side. (In case in the rare event the meter faults on you...very rare, I've seen it happen once over many years.)

2: You have tied your neutrals and ground together going into the GFCI, creating a parallel path in your temp leads. I would change that to tying the GFCI grounds to the ground lead on your pigtail, and attaching (bonding) ONLY the grounding lead to the temp meter can. Keep the neutral completely isolated in your temp meter can.

A Form 2S meter (the standard residential meter) does NOT require a neutral connection of any kind (except when specially connected for 120v only use) so you could use the bonded neutral block in your temp can for your grounding conductors.

Since I see the 5th jaw in both meter cans, are 5th jaw meters (I forget the form number at the moment) common in your area?
Thanks for the comments. Ill try changing some things around. Yeah the infamous 5th jaw lol. PSEG here requires all meter pans in there territory to have the 5th jaw but none of their meters have 5 jaws.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Ill try changing some things around. Yeah the infamous 5th jaw lol. PSEG here requires all meter pans in there territory to have the 5th jaw but none of their meters have 5 jaws.

You're welcome. :) (I ran out of thanks for now.)

LOL I never understood why some poco's require a 5th jaw when there is no way in hell a given service would ever need one. :laughing:

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
i think its kinda weird that i can buy a 5 jaw cheaper than a 4? :blink:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ElectricJoeNJ said:
Not sure if I posted these before but this is my setup for temp power for doing services or panel change outs. 30' long cord with basket and s hook to hang from drop or from meter pan.
that is a kewl set up but I am a lil afraid of it.lol

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
How much power do you draw on a service change out? Usually I have a few lights set up. And maybe a battery charger, radio, and on a rare ocassion a hole hawg....
I have a 30' length of 10-3 so cable with a hook for securing it to the poa. And large aligator clips to bug into utility cables.
But I only have a quad receptacle with gfci protection. Nothing fancy really.
Is it a concern using power unmetered over there. I've never had an issue for such a small amount of time?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NacBooster29 said:
How much power do you draw on a service change out? Usually I have a few lights set up. And maybe a battery charger, radio, and on a rare ocassion a hole hawg....
I have a 30' length of 10-3 so cable with a hook for securing it to the poa. And large aligator clips to bug into utility cables.
But I only have a quad receptacle with gfci protection. Nothing fancy really.
Is it a concern using power unmetered over there. I've never had an issue for such a small amount of time?
They can fine you, though I've never seen it happen.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Mcmastercarr.com

I actually like this idea I think I am going to use this idea for our setup but may use guts from a 2 space square d qo disconnect for over current protection inside a larger socket enclosure. I was just going to toss it anyways. And I have a meter socket that has some cosmetic damage. Will make good use of these items.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
is the meter you have in your temp the original house meter?:eek:
Why the :eek:? You would normally use the customer's meter on the changeout as it is their account and power you are using. :rolleyes:

Standard practice in most places...although back in the 80's our poco would allow "non-metered" temp hookups on a service changeout. Then again, they also used to give me meter seals, rings and blankout covers just for the asking. :thumbup:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Of course you have, there is no electrical problem of any kind no mater how rare you have not experienced.

We all know that by know.:laughing:

I still love you buddy.:jester:

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,253 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I just use a generator. PSNH doesn't let us mess with drops. We probably aren't supposed to pull meters but we do that anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts