Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to vent. I got a similar situation to Brian except I don't run the company lol. My company has had to turn to a temp service to man up our project.some of these guys have turned out okay. The others drive me up the wall! I'm doing the foreman thing and whenever the guys show up I always give em the same run down. Work safe work smart work hard. Don't get caught standing around. EVERYBODY cleans up. One guy, dead serious says, I was waiting for the laborer. I said dude, we are the laborers. Another guy gets done with his and wants to stand around and ham it up with the other foreman or trades while everyone else is trying to get out of there. If it wasn't so hard to get help right now and I was the supervisor, the second time I had to say something I'd send him down the road. When I'm running the crew, I feel like if I'm cleaning, you better be cleaning.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Probably a reason they are temp workers.

How do you pay the temp workers? Are they licensed journeymen or just labour?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I just want to vent. I got a similar situation to Brian except I don't run the company lol. My company has had to turn to a temp service to man up our project.some of these guys have turned out okay. The others drive me up the wall! I'm doing the foreman thing and whenever the guys show up I always give em the same run down. Work safe work smart work hard. Don't get caught standing around. EVERYBODY cleans up. One guy, dead serious says, I was waiting for the laborer. I said dude, we are the laborers. Another guy gets done with his and wants to stand around and ham it up with the other foreman or trades while everyone else is trying to get out of there. If it wasn't so hard to get help right now and I was the supervisor, the second time I had to say something I'd send him down the road. When I'm running the crew, I feel like if I'm cleaning, you better be cleaning.

Way back when I was a Forman , I would tell them only once,then I would tell them to pack up and go to the shop and let the owner deal with it,The owner would call me and ask why? I'd tell him the truth,The job will not get done on time with slackers on the job , if a guy was a slow but steady worker that takes pride in his work he would stay with me,guys that want to stand around shooting the chit , can do that all they want in the soup line.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
Way back when I was a Forman , I would tell them only once,then I would tell them to pack up and go to the shop and let the owner deal with it,The owner would call me and ask why? I'd tell him the truth,The job will not get done on time with slackers on the job , if a guy was a slow but steady worker that takes pride in his work he would stay with me,guys that want to stand around shooting the chit , can do that all they want in the soup line.
you know where theres a soup line?:laughing::laughing:

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
824 Posts
Most of the temps I've worked with are of the 15 year apprentice type. Too dumb to pass the JM exam but just smart enough to put things together without catching the place on fire. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably a reason they are temp workers.

How do you pay the temp workers? Are they licensed journeymen or just labour?
That's what my boss says. If they are temps they can't hold a job anywhere else.

Some have a limited license or jmans card, most are the guys with 20 years experience spread out over 30 years.

I hope I never fall into that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts