Electrician Talk banner

Terminal Ratings

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dronai 
#1 ·
Most terminals, bus, or breakers, I see a 75 C rating. So for an example using the wire table for 50A Thhn, I can use #8 Cu. Today I checked the sub panel bus rating, and it was 75 C, After I pulled in the wire, and opened the control box near the landing lugs, I found the sticker with the data, and it said 90 C wire required !!!

You guys check, or use the 75 C or 90 C on your pulls ?

#3 ·
Most terminals, bus, or breakers, I see a 75 C rating. So for an example using the wire table for 50A Thhn, I can use #8 Cu. Today I checked the sub panel bus rating, and it was 75 C, After I pulled in the wire, and opened the control box near the landing lugs, I found the sticker with the data, and it said 90 C wire required !!!
I'm uncertain about what you're saying. Are you saying that a control box is requiring 90C insulation or the panel is saying that?

And .. are you saying the lugs are requiring 90C wire or they are rated up to 90C?

I remember wiring canopy lights that required 105C wire but they sent sleeves to install over the 90C rated wire.

Reactions: MechanicalDVR
#9 ·
No **** sherlock- Read again ^ I sense another user name by the cub

To me that seems like they wanted you to use 90c for the heat, but the 60c column for amps.

I am old school and always use the 60c column for 100 amps and under 75c for anything over. I don't think the size difference under 100 amps is going to break the bank, and I know I'll never run into a point where I'd have to change it because it's to small.
They wanted me to use #6
Did you see this after you pulled #8? :)
:) Of course

#6 ·
To me that seems like they wanted you to use 90c for the heat, but the 60c column for amps.

I am old school and always use the 60c column for 100 amps and under 75c for anything over. I don't think the size difference under 100 amps is going to break the bank, and I know I'll never run into a point where I'd have to change it because it's to small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.