Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen this stuff before. Kitchen has been gutted. Most of the place has been rewired but there is still some knob and tube running into the kitchen from other areas of the home. I want to terminate those loose ends in JB's, device boxes, pot light boxes, etc. and cap them off.

What do I use as a "tube" to accomplish this?

Alternatively, I was thinking of just leaving them loose until rough-in inspection and asking the inspector what to do. It's not in my scope of work to trace those wires out and disconnect them but, if the inspector says it needs to be done, then I get my change order.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
394.19 (B) Limited Conductor Space. Where space is too limited to provide these minimum clearances, such as at meters, panelboards, outlets, and switch points, the individual conductors shall be enclosed in flexible nonmetallic tubing, which shall be continuous in length between the last support and the enclosure or terminal point.
So I would say put it in 1/2" smurf tube from the last knob and then into a jbox, cap the ends.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I would cut it no further than 300mm from the last supporting insulator and tape the end of it and call it a day.

Why does it have to go into a junction box? there's no junction, no splice. Then if the inspector says do something else, you get change order, collect lots of money and do what the inspector wants.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
K&T was "legally" spliced in mid air. So IMO it would not need a JB. Just cap it off. If you do put it in a box, do as was said and put it in separate bushed holes.
I just worked in a house about a month ago and the inspector allowed me to use clear tubing for a bushing. You can get it in a hardware store in several sizes.

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always thought stray ends of conductors had to be terminated in a box. I had an inspector tell me that so that's what I have always done. Anyway, I'll wait for inspection and see what he says. Thanks for the advice, guys :) .

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I always thought stray ends of conductors had to be terminated in a box. I had an inspector tell me that so that's what I have always done. Anyway, I'll wait for inspection and see what he says. Thanks for the advice, guys :) .
Yes for cables.. but probably no for open wiring. It's dangerous to bring them together. They're safer far apart and taped up on the ends.

Although, just do whatever your inspector says.. then it's on him.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,516 Posts
They still make loom, knobs and tubes. If you have a KT wire that you want to abandon, cut it at the nearest knob and just tape it up. Forget all this other dumb stuff. We work with KT all the time in houses around here.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is good info, ive never worked with it either but just had a job to replace a front porch light that was fed with it and re run romex from a new service. I plan to completely remove the hot but cant for the life of me figure out where the neutral was fed from. Ill just cut it and cap it off by the light.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I would cut it a little longer and loop the end. It's a little easier to tape it that way.
I think 300mm is a little extreme! :eek:
Maybe he meant 30mm?

IMO, cutting it short near the knob and insulating the ends makes the most sense if you can't rewire the circuit and kill the old K&T circuit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.